Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio PCG-FR415B CPU

profile.country.de_DE.title
akrimmer
Visitor

Vaio PCG-FR415B CPU

Hi there,

i want to update my Vaio from a Celeron 2.8 CPU to an Intel P4. Now my problem is that the Mainboard of my vaio has an mPGA479m Socket and a Celeron 2.8 GHz, 128 kb L2 Cache, 400 FSB. I am confused about that as the Celeron CPU normally only fits in PGA478 Sockets and there is a warning on some websites, that the CPUs will fit in both Sockets but are not compatible. So I need information about what CPU exactly will fit in this Vaio.

I prefer an Intel P4 2.80, 512 K, 400 FSB or even better a Mobile Intel P4 M 2.60, 512 K, 400 FSB because of the TDP. Both of them are Northwood-CPUs (http://ark.intel.com/de/products/codename/1837/Northwood).

Please tell me if this is possible.

Greetings,

Andreas

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think Socket 479 is for mobile processors and Socket 478 is for desktops.

You can read about the incompatibilities here: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_479

Socket 479 should support all P4 mobile processors but you need to check what your chipset supports .  I think your ATI RS200M+ only supports Pentium Mobile Processors in the P4 category but check your chipset is IGP 345M to be sure.  If so, I guess you will be fine with a mobile P4.  Check the heat outputs to see if there is a much bigger wattage consumed which may cause overheating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_ATI_chipsets

If I get time I will look further but this should give you enough to continue your research.

:wink:

akrimmer
Visitor

Thank you Blencogo,

I read these links before, but the installed CPU is a Northwood Intel Celeron 2.8 which was not produced as a mobile one (i think :smileyconfused:) and regarding to Intel this Celeron is only built for PPGA478.

Perhaps you or someone else can give me information where to find a technical manual for the mainboard built in my notebook. It seems as there is no information available by Sony and I can't find any ID-Code on the board that will help for identification.

The chipset is ATI IGP 345M.

Edit: I found a cheap CPU Intel P4 2.0, 512 K, 400 FSB, TDP lower than the Celeron, not mobile. Perhaps, if I have the right mood this weekend I will buy it and then do a suicide mission to my notebook.

Message was edited by: akrimmer

Message was edited by: akrimmer

akrimmer
Visitor

So hello and thank you everyone who started looking for a solution.

In a notebook suicide mission i built in a Intel Pentium 4 DESKTOP CPU 2.0 GHz, 512 k cache, 400 FSB, Northwood and... it works.

The Vaio works at about 10° C lower on high load, the highest temperature was 59° C. Of course it works slower (2.8 to 2.0 GHz) but more fluently. Now it is possible to use more than one programm simultanous without cracking up system. Perhaps I am going to try out a 2.4 P4 if I will find a cheap one. My system now is a:

Sony Vaio PCG-FR415B

1 GB DDR SoDIMM (2 x 512 MB)

320 GB HDD

2 GHz Pentium 4

D-Link DWL-G630 WLAN Adapter (PCMCIA)

and as OS I am running:

Windows XP Home (SP 3)

Xubuntu 11.04

This notebook was never thought of being a multimedia machine but now I can use it for maintenancing my other systems, updating firmware on my sat-receiver and DVD player and other things like that.

Greetings,

akrimmer

(This Thread is now closed)