Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Duo 13 with 3 SIM - or non Vodafone SIM

SOLVED
Buffcakes
New

Vaio Duo 13 with 3 SIM - or non Vodafone SIM

Hi,

I've put my 3 SIM card to the Duo 13 and it works perfectly fine till I restart or it sleeps and wakes up, at that point it no longer recognises the SIM card and the mobile broadband adapter gets the yellow exclamation mark on the device manager.  Sony is disowning the issue as the laptop is not exhibiting this behaviour with the vodafone SIM it came with.

Anyone came across this issue or using the duo 13 with a non-vodafone SIM?  Suggestions gratefully received :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jamesme112
Explorer

Hi,

I've come across this issue as well. For some reason, when the machine boots up, it does some sort of verification on the SIM slot to check whether a) the registered vodafone SIM is inside or b) if the SIM slot is empty. If it finds an unrecognised SIM, it will throw errors and render the SIM slot useless temporarily (and bring back errors).

The best way I've found to resolve this is to remove the SIM and reboot the machine. Then put the original vodafone SIM in, let the machine verify the SIM (maybe even let it connect but dont use data), and reboot again. This should resolve your issue. You may see that device manager still flags up an issue but this should disappear after a few more reboots with the vodafone sim in.

My best advice for using non-vodafone sims is to always keep the non-voda sim undocked until the machine is fully booted, and undock again once you've turned off your duo (by undock I mean leave the sim released but don't take it out of the slot, or you may prefer to store it somewhere else if it is easier for you).

I'm not a sony engineer so I can't validate that this is the official procedure, however because I've experienced this issue a couple of times, I've found that the method above is the best way to resolve it.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dodds_uk
New

I'm also having this exact issue with a 3 sim card as you descibe, i havent tried another sim from a different ISP...

Did you get any closer to resolving this?

Chris

jamesme112
Explorer

Hi,

I've come across this issue as well. For some reason, when the machine boots up, it does some sort of verification on the SIM slot to check whether a) the registered vodafone SIM is inside or b) if the SIM slot is empty. If it finds an unrecognised SIM, it will throw errors and render the SIM slot useless temporarily (and bring back errors).

The best way I've found to resolve this is to remove the SIM and reboot the machine. Then put the original vodafone SIM in, let the machine verify the SIM (maybe even let it connect but dont use data), and reboot again. This should resolve your issue. You may see that device manager still flags up an issue but this should disappear after a few more reboots with the vodafone sim in.

My best advice for using non-vodafone sims is to always keep the non-voda sim undocked until the machine is fully booted, and undock again once you've turned off your duo (by undock I mean leave the sim released but don't take it out of the slot, or you may prefer to store it somewhere else if it is easier for you).

I'm not a sony engineer so I can't validate that this is the official procedure, however because I've experienced this issue a couple of times, I've found that the method above is the best way to resolve it.

Good luck!