Join now - be part of our community!

vaio GRZ615S power/boot problem

suiy
Visitor

vaio GRZ615S power/boot problem

hi all :slight_smile:

thought I would post this here in case anyone might know what`s gone wrong with my laptop, but before ! explain what`s wrong with it I will say that it has gone to the repair centre but just wondered if someone might know what could be wrong it.

Anyway it all started on saturday when I switched the laptop on and it stopped responding while loading windows so I reset it and windows loaded normally. Then on sunday I was working away in windows and it just suddenly powered down but when i cycled the power it came back on.

But later that day I went to switch it on and the sony logo didn`t appear and just the green power led came on, the weird part is sometimes it will boot into windows then just power down after a couple of minutes and leave me with a blank screen with just the power led on. And other times I can switch it on and i will only get the power led showing but it doesn`t even boot,

Does this sound like my laptop is dead big time ? :cry: its only 14 months and sony have been good by collecting it so quickly etc, but surely it should last longer that 14 months ? :slight_smile: I just hope it doesn`t cost a lot to fix,

Anyway sorry to waffle on a bit but if anyone did know what it could be it might help me work out how much it will cost to get it fixed. Thanks in advance
Gavin

p,s i have norton antivirus on it the laptop and fully upto date as well as a firewall so surely it cant a virus doing this ?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think they'll probably change the PSU or the motherboard.

suiy
Visitor

Hi thanks for the awnser :slight_smile: shouldnt be to expensive then.

Thanks from gav

kee-lo_

Actually yes.
But if it's the 12 month period of buying it send it to sony, they'll do it for free.

suiy
Visitor

Actually yes.
But if it's the 12 month period of buying it send it to sony, they'll do it for free.

i wish it was the 12 month period but its gone past that its 14 months old :slight_smile: but i should hear back from sony anyday :smileygrin:
unless i can persuade them to fix it for free since it is only just out its warrenty

Thanks from gav

willij5
Visitor

Wow. I've got exactly the same problem with mine, and its 14 month old as well.

Perhaps Sony program them so they fail after the warranty expires? (I'll get my coat now!)

One thing worth doing is opening up the laptop and clearing out all the dust and fluff around the heatsink and the fan at the back right. My laptop was constantly shutting down due to overheating. Its amazing how much gathers there over time.

kee-lo_

Perhaps Sony program them so they fail after the warranty expires? (I'll get my coat now!)

:laughing: You might be on to something here :slight_smile:

suiy
Visitor

hi again, wow that is freaky that 2 laptops have done the same thing. Ive hardly used y laptop much but i did check it for dust before it went to sony though willij5.

But thanks for the idea. It would be nice in a way if Kee-Lo was right that we could be onto somthing sony might just replace it for free then :smileygrin: but dream on heh.

Thanks for all the help and info ive had so far though i am still waiting a responce from the sony repair center. Once i hear some news from them i will post back here and hopefully be able to say what was causing it. Thanks from

gav