Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO HDD MISSING 50 GIGS

DRFP
Visitor

VAIO HDD MISSING 50 GIGS

Hey all. Looking for some help here. I know that Vista and the Sony recovery section takes up a lot of space on the hard drive from the start. So, I'm not worried about the fact that my 200GB hard drive has a maximum capacity of 177GB.

However! What does bother me is the fact that when I select properties for the entire contents of my hard drive the contents amounts to 26.3GB. So, in theory I ought to have some 150GB of free space. Not so. I'm told I only have 117GB free space.

Can anyone tell why I'm getting this reading, or what could possibly be taking up some 50GB on my hard drive?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
HateBreeder
Visitor

Turn off the system restore!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DRFP,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

As HateBreeder has already mentioned, System restore is probably occupying your missing HDD space..

To reclaim space used by System Restore, do the following:

Note: Once you click Delete all but the most recent System Restore points will be removed and therefore no longer available at a later date..

Double click on Computer and then right click on Local Disc (C:) and select Properties.

A Local Disc (C:) Properties window should open, in the General Tab click on Disk Cleanup.

Select Files from All Users on this computer option and click Continue on the User Account Control window.

Disk Cleanup will pop up and calculate how much space can be freed.

Once done, click on More Options tab.

Under System Restore and Shadow Copies click on Cleanup.

A small disk Cleanup window should appear, if you are sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point, then click Delete.. :slight_smile:

You can decrease the Storage Space allocated to system restore, make sure you read the text before you actually reduce the allocated space, click the following link for a guide: Decrease Storage Space Allocated To System Restore