Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio K315M

coopaman
Visitor

Vaio K315M

Just bought a Sony K315M notebook, took it out the box and was impressed by the way it looked and its sturdy build quality, I wanted a laptop that i would also be able to use for gaming, The dixons description of the machine said that it would happily play the latest games, but for some reason i cant get any game to run above 10fps, Halflife 2 and Doom3 are definitely none contenders as they say that the gfx card does not have support for them.

Also if i try to multitask more than 3 programs the machine becomes extremely slugish and working with digital video is painfully slow also.

Is this normal behavior for this model of machine and i am merely a victim of poor descrition of capabillities on dixons behalf, or is these issues a problem that needs to be addressed by the manufacture ie, hardware faults

3.06ghz P4 533fsb 512ram ATI 128mb integrated gfx

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would do a restore with the provided DVD

coopaman
Visitor

Done several restores m8, and ran laptop with all startup items disabled to minimise resource usage, same thing games dont work full stop and machine multitasks very poorly. All drivers upto date, no viruses, spyware etc. Guess it must be a hardware issuse

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Did you install Sony Notebook Setup?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Also ensure that, whilst on AC power at least, your laptop is running at its full speed, mine is 2.80GHz.

1. Right Click Power Options on the taskbar (either a blue battery or a grey AC power cord)
2. Click Adjust Power Options, then click VAIO Power Management
3. On this tab, select under System Thermal Control, the Performance mode (it may be called adaptive or degrade) for AC power.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Also check that it has been allocated the full 128Mb in the BIOS. Press f2 immediately when the computer starts and there will be a setting for how much RAM to assign to the graphics card. Truth be told a card that shares RAM isn't the best for gaming, unfortunately Dixons policy of hiring Homo Habilis is a bit of a bummer for us all. Even if it's not the best right now, it should be able to do more than it currently is. Be sure you have disabled things like Anti-virus and extra background tasks when you play as well.