Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
BrendanBlue
Visitor

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

Hello, I recently purchased a Sony Vaio VPCF12MOE Laptop and am really happy with it apart from the very loud fan noise I've noticed recently. Even now with only a webpage up the noise the laptop is making is tremendous. Apart from that I'm very happy with it and have had no other problems at all. Thanks for any help.

34 REPLIES 34
kenarae
New

Hi Sony Forum, 

as a brand new customer - today 04th March 2014 (UK based) but teach IT around the world i am a little concerned after unpacking my new SVF15NA1GM - new flip screen laptop. s/n 54734874 - 0005587 to find a noisy fan. 

i agree with other users that the noise is a personal subjective thing but trust me when i say the noise level is unbearable.

12GB RAM probably isnt helping but just Chrome open and nothing else.

am i to believe that after 4 years this problem has still not been fixed by Sony... if thats the case then this is a disgrace and my laptop will be returned within the 30day return period.

thanks but no thanks, 

Ken.

sgdavies

Hi kenarae,

We have the same problem / Issue, I guess for us though its not really an issue, we kind of accept it, although we only use it for a home PC for internet /Skype,not in a Pro capacity like yourself, etc it is a  bit noisey, but for us the main problem with this device, is since we update to Windows 8.1 the device will not function as a tablet, because after 15 mins the touch screen freezes, and only loging out or rebooting will fix it.

Check you do not get our problem, because there does not seem to be a fix at the moment for it, then weight things up, and act quick.

dondigi
Explorer

I just fix mine.  The fan would go full speed after only 5min of surfing the net and was almost burning hot which is not normal for a laptop when its almost idle.  Unfortunately the fix needs you to be comfortable with electronic and not have a warrenty cause you'll need to open up the laptop and fix the thermal paste on the CPU.  The thermal paste is not apply properly on the CPU which had no past in the middle of CPU and it was hard like cement.  After removing the old thermal paste and properly putting new thermal paste I've been using my laptop for more then an hour without hearing the fan once and no heat coming out.  You can see you tube video of proceedure if you seach sony heatsink replace, it will show you how to take it apart.

profile.country.GB.title
robwatso17
New

I have also fixed my laptop by buying from theral paste remover from eBay and new thernal paste.  I've never done it before and there were a lot of screws to remove but it has made a world of difference.  I also needed to clear out the vents from the fan from the inside.  It's so nice having a quiet laptop.  I wouldn't have bought a new laptop if I'd seen this fix earlier.

profile.country.GB.title
robwatso17
New

The Sony Vaio I have is a VPCEB1Z0E.  It must be about ten years old.  Amazing to still be able to use a laptop after this long (with a few upgrades and SSD along the way)