Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop PCG-FX405 upgrade

BrianLawrence
Visitor

Vaio Laptop PCG-FX405 upgrade

Hi there,
I have had a Vaio for a few years now and am (still) very happy with it. However, I would like to upgrade the hard drive (20gb currently) and RAM (256mb currently), if possible. Any idea about a) compatible parts and b) doability? I live in the UK. Any thoughts, greatly appreciated.

41 REPLIES 41
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

.... can I boot from the drive in the caddy and copy files that way?

That isn’t possible unfortunately. I don’t understand, at the moment, exactly what the problem is but are you able to view any files?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
BrianLawrence
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Some folders are accessible but word & excel files and itunes aren't. Shall I get my screwdriver?

BrianLawrence
Visitor

Just noticed that about half the drive is missing ........... :slight_frown: However, it seems that I have 2 new drives G and K - 20 gb in total :smileygrin: Think that I can see most of the files I need. The only issue is what system folders and misc rubbish can be zapped. Is it best to copy all the stuff you need on CDs and then reformat the two new drives? Can you make it one new drive 20gb in total

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Let's investigate a bit further before resorting to the screwdriver.

Presumably the old HD had a C and D partition which should still show up as two independent drives (possibly H and I or G and H), how many logical drives are present in My Computer? Can you remember the location of the missing folders – was it the C or D drive?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Sorry our posts crossed.

You can copy and paste any files and folders that you need to the new hard drive. Once done you can wipe and repartition the old drive to one logical partition by using Partition Magic. Alternatively delete the second partition and reformat the first partition to use all available space.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
BrianLawrence
Visitor

Sorry Rich running out of adjectives suffice it to say I owe you. But 'Partition Magic' sounds funky is that part of the Sony setup or is it downloadable from the net? The other stuff you wrote: 'Alternatively delete the second partition and reformat the first partition to use all available space' is a tad beyond my Stella infected brain well, in fact, if Stella had a headache (and stayed at home) I still couldn't work that one out :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

LOL, let's leave the second option for a clear head!

You can download a free trial of Partition Magic from here

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
BrianLawrence
Visitor

Triff. Thanx Rich. Feelin a little less like I want to format my hard drive and rather more that I should lie down.

'No Stella, leave me alone, I am talkin to Rich........'

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

'No Stella, leave me alone, I am talkin to Rich........'

LOL, send Stella in my direction if you need to lie down (alone)....although I must admit that I prefer red to blonde...:smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
BrianLawrence
Visitor

Morning - Two things missing this grey Easter Saturday morning, Stella induced headache:smileygrin: and 30gb of new hard drive :cry:

According to Device Manager my hard disk is 57224mb (I accept thats probably fine) unallocated space of 26498 and two volumes C & D making up the rest (of the of the 60gb drive).

Obviously feelin a little short changed here. How can I get the unallocated space back? Hope it's not a reinstall - my nerves wont stand it and I cannot afford a calming nite out with Stella!