Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop VGN-NR32S STARTUP PROBLEMS - CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

profile.country.en_GB.title
hamlet35
New

Vaio Laptop VGN-NR32S STARTUP PROBLEMS - CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

When I press start button the laptop tries to start, the VAIO screen comes on but I then get a black screen saying Error loading operating system.

I have tried all the Troubleshooting tips from Sony - tapping F8 gets same error message.  When I tap F10 i get:

My laptop seems to have died as it won't load Windows after switching on.  I have tried pressing F8 but that page won't load.  When I press F10 I get - Windows is loading files then a black screen whic says:-

'Edit Boot Options"

Edit Windows boot options for: Vaio Recovery Environment

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[ /DETECTHAL /MININT /REDIRECT RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 R

DPATHmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)sources\boot.wim

Is my laptop recoverable or is it totally dead.  Anyones' help would be much appreciated.               

]

I HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY BACKUP DISCS AND IT SAYS - WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES WITH THE MOVNG GREY BAND UNDERNEATH BUT THEN IT JUST HANGS WITH A BLUE/GREY SCREEN AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

IT IS A WINDOWS VISTA OS.

Message was edited by: hamlet35

33 REPLIES 33
hamlet35
New

I have ordered a cradle from Amazon and will try your suggestions.  I will certainly buy a new hard drive if that fails.  I am just a little worried that the problem is somewhere else in the computer.  The error regarding the HAL.dll - is that on the hard drive? If so then that will be the best option.

Thanks again for all your help.  I will let you know how I get on.

hamlet35
New

HI AGAIN

I have bought a cradle from Amazon but unfortunately, we couldn't get any data from ther hard drive so will just have to accept all is lost.

I now want to buy a new rep[lacement hard drive but the link you gave me:

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung-250gb-spinpoint-m8-sata-3gb-s-8mb-5400rpm-2-5--hard-drive-7LP7....

is for a Samsung  HDD, whereas my hard drive is a Toshiba `MK2546GSX.  WILL THE SAMSUNG BE OK?

Thanks again for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi again Hamlet35.

Any slimline 2.5 inch SATA Hard Drive will do.  Whatever make you choose will be OK - it is a matter of personal choice. The only requirement is that it is not over 9.5mm thick - there are some drives that are 13mm thick and these are too big so avoid these.

If you prefer to have a Toshiba, that is your choice.

Just avoid any that say. 'Advanced Formatting'.

:thinking:

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

I am having great difficulty locating a replacement Toshiba, I have only found one in US but do not want to order from there in case it arrives damaged.

Will the back-up discs I made when the laptop was new work ok with a different  hard drive?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It is an old drive now and out of production so you will pay well over the odds for an inferior hard drive.

It does not make any difference what make you choose and your Recovery discs will install on any SATA drive.

Most people would recommend Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital, Hitachi or Fujitsu for the best laptop drives - I don't think Toshiba is in the top 10 these days.

Quite honestly, they are all very similar and you can't go wrong with any of the above but the Samsung will take some beating.

hamlet35
New

Ok, thanks.  I will order it now and hopefully will be able to report back with "success".

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

We have bought the new Samsung hard drive but sadly the computer still won't start, it can't seem to get anything from the Back-up discs.  It tries to load files for ages then it says there is a problem with the hard drive or partition, as though it can't see it.It also keeps asking for thr backup discs but then can't load anything from them.

Is there anything further we can do?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hamlet35.

Are you doing this: -

1.  Insert the Recovery Disc No1 into the DVD Drive and shut down the Vaio completely with the disc in the drive.

2.  Start up normally so that the Vaio boots from the Recovery Disc and opens the Recovery Center.

3.  Follow the instructions for a 'Complete Recovery'.

It is necessary to boot from the Recovery Disc to load the SATA drivers which will allow the hard disc to be recognised. 

It may need the boot order to be changed in the BIOS to boot from the DVD Drive before the Hard Disc.  If you continue to have problems, make sure the hard drive is recognised in the BIOS.

Come back with further details of what happens when you start up if you have no luck!

hamlet35
New

Hello Blencogo

Tried everything you have suggested but stil no luck.  Its as though the backup discs do not have an operating system on them.  At one stage we were asked for the final backup disc (there are two) but still nothing happens.

It is as if we need Windows Vista OS but, of course, computer manufacturers do not supply the OS discs with new PCs as they used to so we do not have them.  We do have thelicence and Product key underneath the laptop.  Do you think we can get anything from Microsoft?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hamlet35,

Are we talking at cross purposes here?  I wonder if you actually have a Set of Recovery Discs - you will have been asked to make these when you first bought the Vaio as they are not provided with the laptop.  This is the only way you can reinstall the OS and software in the event of a hard disc failure as you can boot from Disc 1.

Can you remember where these 'backup discs' came from?

Unfortunately, the Product Key is not a valid activation code for Vista as a 'full' version is not installed, only a Sony version.

Your options now would seem to be: -

1.  Obtain a replacement set of Recovery Discs from Vaio Support.  Unfortunately, they will charge for these as you should have made a set.  See the section marked 'Important' in your model's Guide - Pages 2 & 16: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/RecoTS/2008Q2_TRG_EN.pdf

2.  Download a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 and telephone the Microsoft Activation helpline, explain the situation and hope the operative is in a good mood and allows activation.  This should not be possible but I have heard some people have success.  Of course this will not reinstall the Sony Preinstalled software which cannot be downloaded.  The basic drivers and utility programs are available for download, so basic functionality should be OK

.http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VGN-NR32S_S/updates

3.  Purchase an Operating System of your choice from any retail outlet.

4.  As options 1 and 3 have a cost - I think Sony charge about £50 with courier delivery -  and in the event that there is some other surprise fault waiting to bite you, you should at least consider cutting your losses and replacing your laptop.

I am sorry we have been unable to resolve this issue for you.

:slight_frown: