Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop VGN-NR32S STARTUP PROBLEMS - CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

profile.country.en_GB.title
hamlet35
New

Vaio Laptop VGN-NR32S STARTUP PROBLEMS - CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP

When I press start button the laptop tries to start, the VAIO screen comes on but I then get a black screen saying Error loading operating system.

I have tried all the Troubleshooting tips from Sony - tapping F8 gets same error message.  When I tap F10 i get:

My laptop seems to have died as it won't load Windows after switching on.  I have tried pressing F8 but that page won't load.  When I press F10 I get - Windows is loading files then a black screen whic says:-

'Edit Boot Options"

Edit Windows boot options for: Vaio Recovery Environment

Path: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

[ /DETECTHAL /MININT /REDIRECT RDIMAGEOFFSET=8192 RDIMAGELENGTH=3161088 R

DPATHmulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)sources\boot.wim

Is my laptop recoverable or is it totally dead.  Anyones' help would be much appreciated.               

]

I HAVE TRIED USING RECOVERY BACKUP DISCS AND IT SAYS - WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES WITH THE MOVNG GREY BAND UNDERNEATH BUT THEN IT JUST HANGS WITH A BLUE/GREY SCREEN AND NOTHING HAPPENS.

IT IS A WINDOWS VISTA OS.

Message was edited by: hamlet35

33 REPLIES 33
hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo

I definately made the Recovery Discs as per the Sony Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide page 16 as soon as I took delivery of the Laptop.  It was bought from PC World , so I cannot understand why the Recovery discs won't work.  I have, this morning tried to put on Vista Basic but it says:-

Windows cannot access the file  D;\SOURCES\INSTALL.WM  Error code:  0X80070017.Do you know what does means?

I do appreciate all your help and agree it looks as though I will have to buy a new laptop but it galls as this one is only 4 years old.  I don't think I will buy another Sony as it has let me down with Recovery discs not working.  Also I have bought a Hard Drive unnecessarily.

But thanks again for trying to help.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hamlet35,

The error code 0x88070017, and message you are receiving may indicate that either the DVD drive is faulty or the disk is dirty or the laser lens needs cleaning. The former and latter may explain why you are having problems installing from the Sony recovery media as well as a retail copy of Windows.

I would first try cleaning the laser lens and disk with a proprietary cleaner. You could also try downloading a free copy of Linux on another machine and then burn that to DVD and check whether this will install.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hamlet35
New

Thanks Rich

You and Blencogo may be right regarding the DVD drive as I have had problems with it in the past - it didn't like some makes of blank DVDs.  However, I know I have recently cleaned the laser and drive with a Philips DVD Cleaner.  So it looks like the DVD drive is faulty.

Your suggestion re downloading Linux and burning it to a dvd is a little difficult as I am using my son's old MAC and it does not burn dvds.  He might do it for me with his newer model.

I am so fed up now, I think I will have to buy a new laptop - it won't be Sony as I have had a lot of problems with it and my husband's Sony Vaio is also not reading the DVD drive.

If it hadn't been for this Support Forum, I think I would have thrown it in the bin.

I would like to thank you and Blencogo for all your help.

Hamlet (Bea)

I

hamlet35
New

Hi Rich

I am like a terrier, I hate to give up.  When we tried to put on Vista it did load some files but then stopped and said it couldn't locate. a missing or corrupt file, so the dvd drive did work.

Today we have tried to put on XP, we had a copy in the drawer and it said Boot MGR was missing.  Then the message was it couldn't find the driver for the hard drive (new Samsung 250GB SATA).  It is a complete mystery what is going on with this laptop.  I may put it with a repairer to see if they can sort it out.

I really don't want a new one as they come with Windows 7 and my expensive Creative MP3 player is no longer supported (so it says on their website) and will not work with Windows 7.  We have tried it on my husbands new Windows 7 PC - his Creative MP3 player won't work either.  The manufacturers just want us to spend out and buy new stuff all the time so they can make mega millions and nothing is made to last.

hamlet35
New

Rich & Blencogo

We have just tried to load Vista Basic (not Home Premium) on and it get so far - but now we have got the message:

"A required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver is missing.  If you have it on a Floppy Disc or CD/DVD or Flash Drive please insert it now." 

We have then inserted the Recovery Discs 1 and 2 and it is not on them.  I cannot remember what the CD/DVD Device is called (and cannot find out as the `PC won't start).  Surley the CD/DVD Device Driver SHOULD have been on the Recovery Discs?

Can you now help with this error message please.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Hamlet35,

The reason you had problems installing XP is that there is no native support for the SATA hard drive. The drivers need to be installed from the floppy drive during the install process (not an option in your case unless you have a USB external floppy drive) or slipstreaming the installation CD/DVD. Have a look at the following link for more information.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

The only feasible explanation/fix I have found for the error message "A required CD/DVD Drive Device Driver is missing. If you have it on a Floppy Disc or CD/DVD or Flash Drive please insert it now."  during a clean install is an incompatibility with Microsoft's AHCI driver (msahci.sys). The solution, if this is indeed the problem, would be to change the AHCI mode for the DVD drive to IDE or ATA in the BIOS. Unfortunately this, given the very limited functionality provided by Sony in the BIOS, I doubt will be an option either. BTW the CD/DVD drive uses native windows drivers so you will not find these on the support site or listed under drivers on the Sony recovery media.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/when-installing-missing-c...

Another explanation of course could be that the DVD drive has an intermittent problem that is interrupting the install due to a read error and therefore the process assumes that the drivers are not in place – just a thought as I have no experience of such a problem.

I’m not sure what else to suggest other than try installing using an external USB DVD drive (assuming you can beg borrow or steal one) or copy the installation DVD to a USB flash drive and try installing from that. You will of course need to change boot priority in the BIOS for either of these options.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hamlet35
New

Hi Rich

Thanks again for your advice but I am afraid it is getting too technical for me or hubby to work through.  I think our next step is to try and get it repaired at a PC repairer.  It may be worth paying out a few more pounds if it can be done. 

We have already bought a new HDD and a cradle.  At least the cradle enabled my husband to look at the old one to see if he could retreive any files but the cradle couldn't see anything.

Thanks again for your help attempts and best wishes for your ongoing assists for people with problems.  Sony should pay you!

Cheers

Hamlet35 (Bea)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Bea,

Sorry to hear that neither Blencogo nor myself could resolve the problem at distance on this occasion. I agree that your best course of action is a repair centre, but make sure you get at least an approximation of cost before proceeding...

Please let us know how you get on.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hamlet35
New

will do.

Bea

hamlet35
New

Hi Blencogo and Rich

My son has a friend who is a computer technician and he has kindly got my laptop working again.  Hooray!  Don't know what he did so cannot post the solution.

Only thing, there I no longer have touchpad, I cannot scroll with touchpad.  Have to keep going to side of window to scroll.  Any ideas?

Thanks