Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Update has killed my VPCL11M1E

SteveGill
Visitor

VAIO Update has killed my VPCL11M1E

This morning VAIO Update announced it was restarting my VPCL11M1E to install updates and promptly shut everything down and closed the PC down. On restart the keyboard wouldn't work to enter my password and I couldn't get the on-screen keyboard to come up. The hard disc was going mad and the fans too.

After a little checking it turned out I have no wireless mouse or keyboard, no touchscreen and my USB ports aren't working - I have no functioning inputs, it's like all the drivers have been removed at once.

Trying to restart it multiple time just leads to a Microsoft screen giving you the option to restore to the last good backup point, but with no inputs it can't be selected. The restore disc doesn't work for the same reason - you have to be able to select options to use it.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for me to try? I'm all out.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.de_DE.title
itbroker
Visitor

Welcome to ClubVaio SteveGill,

Please, follow this guide :

How to restore the computer to an earlier time using the System Restore feature

System restore is a very useful troubleshooting tool if your computer recently started to expose erratic behavior. We recommend to restore the system to the most recent date before the problem started.

Please, let us know about any further question.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I'm not sure what you can do if you have no inputs. The Recovery disc should load basic drivers to enable input which implies you have other problems.

Have you tried borrowing a Microsoft Installation disc and seeing if the required USB drivers are loaded on boot?

Like you, I cannot think of a simple way forward - let me think about it.

:smileyd_oh:

SteveGill
Visitor

It is working once more. :smileygrin:

The process was very confusing, probably more confusing than the error itself.

I went through an endless cycle of powering up with the recovery disc in, confirming nothing worked and powering it back down again. The only functioning controls I had were the power button and the display button. On the nth attempt (where n is a large number) the PC started up after I'd powered it down as if it was doing a reboot rather than a power down. At that point I had drivers once more and could use both mouse and keyboard.

A quick restore back to the 1st of June and everything was back to normal in short order.

Looking at the update logs it would appear there was a VAIO driver update and a critical Windows update at the same time, the VAIO update was trumped by the windows update.

I have no idea why the recovery disc drivers didn't work originally and then suddenly did. :thinking:

Thanks to everyone who spent any time thinking on this problem, regardless of whether you posted.