Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Upgrade to Ultimate from Professional

barrancoblanco
Visitor

Vaio Upgrade to Ultimate from Professional

VGN-SZ5XWN

I now have the problem that the sound does not work and the camera does not work. Also Vaio Control Centre fails with a runtime error. I have seen elsewhere that it is necessary to reinstall all drivers. I have tried the sound drivers first (Sigmatel). These do not appear in the drivers available to be downloaded 'as shipped' on the support site. All I have done is uninstall the sigmatel codec from the device manager and then searched new hardware and it has reinstalled. This does not fix the problem.

So what is the answer? Can I get these drivers somewhere so I can delete them and force a new installation(Sigmatel and their new owners dont provide them) or do I just recover the whole thing to 'as shipped' with Vista Business?

I have not had a reply from Sony for the last 2+ days

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi barrancoblanco,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

It's strange that the audio drivers are not included within the SZ5XWN Drivers Package, however they are included in the Original Drivers Package for the SZ4XWN, which you can download from HERE

barrancoblanco
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus. In the end I found that I could delete the drivers in the Device Manager and then re-install the originals from C:/drivers which were OK. On the Sigmatel Site it said that this was a known problem when ugrading Vista (rather than through a clean install).

Oddly, when I re-installed the sound drivers the camera started working! I still can't run the VAIO Control Centre Application although I have removed it, downloaded the original utilities and re-installed it. I guess there is a driver I am not using normally that stops the C++ code from loading. All other VAIO utilities run properly and all applications seem to run properly. I never used the Control Centre before the 'upgrade' so I have no idea if I need it. Sony Support state that not all applications will run after the 'upgrade'. They are correct!