Join now - be part of our community!

HOW TO GET 1080P WORKING ON A VISTA LAPTOP

eaglesrest
Visitor

HOW TO GET 1080P WORKING ON A VISTA LAPTOP

Ok folks after much pain and suffering I've managed to get 1080P output on my Vista Home Premium AR21S laptop.

If anyone is interested in the solution (it's quite indepth) please post here and I'll draft something.

Finally I can watch HD content on a HD TV without the poxy interlace jerky images.

21 REPLIES 21
Dekesh
Visitor

i think you might as well post it on here so that it would be helpful to many users. it will probably be stickied as well as its very useful

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes, please do, I'd be very interested.

eaglesrest
Visitor

I can't take credit for this as it's NVIDIA who have fixed progressive in a later release of the drivers - I've just put the pieces together to get it to work on the Vaio.

1. Get the Beta NVIDIA drivers 158.43 and extract the files to a folder:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winvista_x86_158.43_uk.html

I used the UK English version. US should work but not tested.

2. From within the NVIDIA extracted files folder replace the following file with the one attached to this Post. This file has 2 extra lines in it to support the GeForce Go 7600 GT card found in the AR21S:

NVIDIA\WinVista\158.43\IS\nv_dsp.inf

3. Now startup device manager and uninstall the driver for the Display Adapter-NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 GT. My TV is a Sony 40W2000 and displays 720p/1080i/1080p etc when the res switches.

4. Reboot the client You will need to view the laptop screen as the HDMI out won't be working yet.

5. Upon logon into windows cancel the Add new h/w wizard

6. Goto the NVIDIA folder and run setup.exe. Follow the prompts choosing Allow at the Unsigned driver prompt.

7. Reboot when prompted.

That should be it - the client will restart, probably in 1080P - it was on mine. You get additional options in NVIDIA Control Panel for HD etc, plus lots of 1920x1080 options at higher refresh rates than the interlaced options.

I'm sure Sony will release a driver soon(ish) but this works fine in the meantime, albeit it will be unsupported by Sony. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Post back here when this works for you!

Dekesh
Visitor

Would this work on an AR11M as it can output 1080 HDMI but cannot view this resolution on the screen? The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 on the AR11M

eaglesrest
Visitor

Would this work on an AR11M as it can output 1080 HDMI but cannot view this resolution on the screen? The graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 on the AR11M

Please use the inf file attached to a post found later in this thread.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks eaglesrest.

Another great advantage of ver 158.43 is the nVidia Control Panel is MUCH better and more comprehensive than previous Vista releases.

:wink:

eaglesrest
Visitor

Thanks eaglesrest.

Another great advantage of ver 158.43 is the nVidia Control Panel is MUCH better and more comprehensive than previous Vista releases.

:wink:

Absolutely and your welcome. It seems to be a win win so far with these drivers.

I will add an updated inf to this post when the beta drivers go gold.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks! I will try this later :slight_smile:

rupidoo
Visitor

Hi There,

Using a Vaio AR31S (GeForce Go 7600 GT) and displaying through Sony Bravia KDL 40x2000 (fully 1080p capable) through HDMI, installed the updated drivers as described checked that the release is now 158.43, but still have no 1080p options in the Nvidia control panel and the highest refresh rate I can select is still only 30Hz. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.