Join now - be part of our community!

vaoi and vista

dani2xll
Visitor

vaoi and vista

I've upgraded from xp to vista via new install. Two problems i've not resolved, is when i resume using my lappy it wont auto connect to wifi router, i have to switch off wifi on lappy and then switch on again for it to search for it. Didnt have this problem with xp, once i opened lid, it auto connected to wifi. Second prob. Before upgrading when i got battery low pc used to pop up with alert and ping to inform me. Now it doesnt and majority of times i dont realise until last minute as it doesnt pop up until less than 10percent. but there's no sound effect and i also dont see a difference in using the battery on power saver plan or vaoi optimised, i recall with xp the screen used to be much dimmer when using battery.

8 REPLIES 8
dani2xll
Visitor

anyone have the same problem or solution to this problem please.

rob_bw
Visitor

Vista is unfortunately causing loads of people many headaches on laptops.

one of those is the WLAN problems you are experiencing.

I have tried downloading the latest reference intel drivers for the 3945ABG adapter, and it hasn't helped one bit.

Worse of all, it may suddenly stop working about 1 minute after cold booting the laptop. That has caused all sorts of problems, the worst being corrution of my Antivirus which was in the middle of updating.

Most of the time for me it'll connect to the access point, but the network icon in the systray is missing the globe icon. To get around this quicly i used to click on "repair" but that got really annoying too. I now have a batch file on the desktop simply containing hte lines:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

and just run it whenever it drops out - it seems to work ok.

I really wish they'd sort this one out, as its really annoying - and given the amount of people with this problem (across all manufacturers), they can't really say they're isolated cases.

Dekesh
Visitor

regarding the battery pop up, you might have to set this in the control panel under power options.

also about the screen being dimmer when running on battery you can set this in power options also but the thing is im not sure if vista has problems with battery stuff as there are a lot of threads about battery mode not working correctly in vista so guess you will have to give it a try and see if it works for you

davemee
Visitor

I'm constantly having to 'diagnose' networks too, which is made all the more annoying by UAC confirmation popups. It doesn't happen on wired connections.

Nice work-around, rob_bw. Maybe I can just put it on a timer too :slight_smile:

Vortex-Steve
Visitor

Same problem with the Wireless here. Have updated to the latest Intel driver but no help. Can't find anything else to try.

dani2xll
Visitor

Its utterly ridiculous that these problems have as yet to be sorted. What is sony and microsoft doing about this.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If the connection is dropping after resuming from sleep or hibernation and the Default Gateway is missing when you type in IPCONFIG, try installing this Microsoft Hotfix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933872/en-us

:wink:

Vdm_muc
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same situation on my new Sony VGN-CR11S returning from hibernation and having lost the std IP gateway (related to DCHP- related). Sometimes it helpes to deactivate the adapter, followed by reactivating it. Most of the time only complete shut down followed by start helpes... I installed the MS fix, but it doesn't help, neither does the workaround "ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew"! Im getting insane!