Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-AR21M audio inteference / noise and screen noise

pmpants
Visitor

VGN-AR21M audio inteference / noise and screen noise

Hi everyone, I've got a couple of problems with my new Vaio VGN-AR21M hope you can help! and thanx in advance!!

When I connect the laptop to the a/c power supply i get lots of inteference and noise coming through my hifi system, it's connected via the headphone socket using a standard good quality 3.5mm to 2x phono plugs.
If i disconnect the audio connection I still get around half the noise, this stops when i remove the inbuilt tv tuner aerial lead or the s-video lead. My amplifier is connected to a freeview digibox as well so I assume the shared aerial cable is transmitting the inteference too. I've tried 2 amplifiers now and tried running thru a mixer but still get the noise, it alters depending on whats open on the screen and what you are doing.

I'm also having a problem with the screen brightness control, if it is set below the maximum (including when it automatically dims when using the battery only) you can hear a noise coming from the screen area, altering the volume dosen't make any difference. Could it be the inverter?

PS since first posting this, my friend has checked his 15.4" vaio (new in December 2006) he has exactly the same symptoms, inteference coming thru his hifi until the ac is pulled, noise when dimming the screen.

Has anyone else found this with recent Vaios?

Thanx again

Paul

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you are using high quality screened cables and the problem persists, I would take it up with Sony Vaio-Link Support as there must be a problem with the internal screening.

I would mention the screen problem too - I know we have had this before and don't think a solution was found.

:wink:

pmpants
Visitor

Thanks Blencogo

I've now just about got rid of most of the noise! I've had to diconnect the earth wire in my valve amp mains plug, and then run a seperate earth/ground wire from the tv-tuner aerial input on the vaio to the dj mixer Ive now put between the two, what a palava, it's like going back to some fussy turntable/cartridge combinations years ago!!

The earth/ground cable could have gone to the aerial plug, s video port or audio port, I'm sure it's all to do with the screen inverter, must admit even mp3's sound good now though!

Thanks again

Paul