Join now - be part of our community!

Vista + VAIO Recovery Util

KevLogue
Visitor

Vista + VAIO Recovery Util

I've recently just gotten a FE41Z and I've already hit a brick wall. During the initial setup I somehow managed to power the system off :slight_frown: . When I realised what happened I turned the system back on and tried to finish the installation. Not surprisingly Vista complained about the failure to install and restarted the system saying I'd need to restart the installation. I managed to get Vista back up(new installation from update disc) and Vista moved all old Program Files and Windows files into Windows.old folder. But when I attempt to run VAIO Recovery Util it claims I'm not running it on a VAIO system and refuses to do anything for me. I thought maybe it was a case some files weren't found so used the Windows RE to restore the .old installation. Again Vista complains about the installation failure. Now whereas previously the repair(Windows installation repair) didn't work this time it did but what it seems to have done is mix the .old Vista installation with the one I began and to top it all off VAIO RU still complains its not a VAIO system. BTW the recovery partition is still there.

Any ideas on how I can get VAIO Recovery Util to do its thing?

On a side note, the current installation of Vista needs to be activated over the phone(automatic fails) even if I manage to create a recovery disc will I still have to do this every time I reinstall? A bit of a pain.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Kev and welcome.

Try resetting the BIOS defaults (tap F2 on seeing the Vaio Boot screen) and save these and exit.

On re-boot tap F10 at the Vaio boot screen and see if the Recovery starts.

:wink:

EDIT: Make sure you are on AC Power and don't interrupt the Recovery !!!!

:thinking:

KevLogue
Visitor

Excellent seems to be working a treat. Thanks mate.

Have to say really impressed with the VAIO system.

Thanks once again :wink: