Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-B1VP any bundled software?

alok
Visitor

VGN-B1VP any bundled software?

hi, when i received this notebook i was slightly amazed to find tht there were discs included, as i thought i would reeceive some contating software or a copy of XP, however there were no CDs with the notebook. Is this with all the notebooks, or just mine?
Secondly, to 'combine' the 2 hard drives, or to 'close' the partition, is there any other solution to do this instead of creating about 11 recovery discs.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

You should still create a couple of recovery disk sets as you will need these if you ever need to recover the machine from a severe problem.

You could use an application such as Partition Magic to modify the partitions - be aware that data loss is possible if it all goes pear shaped.

alok
Visitor

so i was not supposed to receive any discs from sony?

robpaxton
Explorer

No, you have to create them yourself . . . . the cheapskates.

magnumopus
Visitor

No sadly you don't get any CD's, you have to create them yourself, though i do feel it's a bit penny pinching of Sony when you're splashing out the sort of money these things cost.

As has already been mentioned, boring though it is you really should make those recovery CD's, if your hard drive ever dies don't expect any sympathy from Sony.

Once you've done that you can use those to give your laptop one single partition with everthing restored on to it, which is exactly what I did, a bit time consuming but worth it in the long run.

kee-lo_

It's worse than penny pinching, it's the return of Scrooge!

Baaah humbug

Woody27
Visitor

It's worse than penny pinching

I really can't quite get over the fact that Sony are doing this!

The tight b***ards! :angry:

I'm not sure I would buy another VAIO if they don't re-instate the recovery disks!?! :cry:

All I can suggest is that when new users buy the blank media to create their recovery disks, get one back on Sony... ...don't use their media!

CW

magnumopus
Visitor

All I can suggest is that when new users buy the blank media to create their recovery disks, get one back on Sony... ...don't use their media!

CW

Or do what I did, only buy one if the shop chucked in a pack of 10 Sony DVD-R's.free :slight_smile:

No sales person in their right mind is going to let a £1000+ sale wolk out of the door for the sake of a box of DVD's...... unless they're mad.

kee-lo_

I don't buy on the high street, far too expensive

magnumopus
Visitor

I don't buy on the high street, far too expensive

I don't normally either but I got this at a very good price and 12 months interest free credit with nothing to pay for a year, the money might as well sit in my bank account gaining interest rather than there's.

... Not fogetting I got a 10 pack of Sony DVD-R's thrown in to. LOL :laughing: