Join now - be part of our community!

VGN FS515B Hard drive size???

Stephieboy
Visitor

VGN FS515B Hard drive size???

Hi just got the notebook a couple of days ago & was told it had 80GB. Upon checking, my one seems to have totals of 37.2 GB on the C drive & 30.2 GB on the D.
Is there something wrong with my maths because I make that a total combined of 67.4 GB???:smileyconfused:
Any help gratefully received.
Ta.

7 REPLIES 7
alperthegreat
Visitor

i use fs285 and my harddisk is 80gb.
first of all everything is normal.
on production they took an area to recovery and this area nearly 6 gb.
80 gb means 80.000.000 byte
but 1024 byte = 1 mb
1024 mb = 1gb
so if you would use a desktop computer with 80 gb harddisk you saw nearly 76 gb.
you can erase the recovery partition but i don't offer you to do this.with this partition you can recover your computer without recovery dvd.(sorry for bad english)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Stephieboy,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

No there is nothing wrong with your maths, windows calculates the drive size after formating, etc differently to the way manufactures report hard drive sizes.

You have a 37.2GB on C and 30.2GB on D but also another 7.5GB has been used for the hidden HDDR system, this gives you a total of 74.9GB.

Stephieboy
Visitor

Thank you for your kind replies :slight_smile:

Stephieboy
Visitor

P.S
Why do the drives come as partitioned?
Do you guys re-configure them or leave the HD's split?
Ta

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Stephieboy,

The drives come partitioned I guess so that any important files can be stored on the D drive, then should you need to recover your Vaio you simply restore the C drive only..:smileyhappy:

I have not changed the size of my partitions, but some forum members have, it's a matter of choice really..

Stephieboy
Visitor

Cheers 4 that

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome Stephieboy :slight_smile: