Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FZ11S WiFi Update

profile.country.en_GB.title
mike9586
Visitor

VGN-FZ11S WiFi Update

I was having a few issues with my Sony Vaio VGN-FZ11S (August 2007) not going to sleep properly sometimes and rebooting itself instead. Windows Vista informated me it was an issue with the Intel WiFi drivers and to update them. I had v.11.1.1.16 which had been updated using the Vaio Update software ages ago (nothing seens to come through Vaio Updater anymore). So I went onto Intel's website and ran their update checker. It told me I could update to v.13.4.0.139 which I did on Sunday evening. Everything installed ok and the WiFi worked fine.

I normally don't 'shut down' the laptop every day, instead, put it into hibernation. However, last night I did a full shut down so I could do a full reboot this morning. While loading Windows, the WLAN light lit up on the laptop and then as soon as I logged into Windows, it went out (the Bluetooth light stayed lit). Once Windows had fully started, I checked and the WiFi wasn't working although Windows stated the device was working properly in the device manager. I check the 'Wireless Switch Setting Utility' and it only had an option for Bluetooth.

I rebooted the computer but WiFi still wouldn't work, so I rolled back the drivers to v.11.1.1.16, rebooted and then had to 'enable' the device in device manager and disable/re-enable the WiFi through the Wireless Switch Setting Utility. At this point the WiFi started working again!

Can anyone advice on what the problem could have been? I take it was the updated drivers, but this will mean, the sleep-mode problem will return (as it has gone to sleep properly everytime since I updated the drivers).

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
mike9586
Visitor

Can anyone advise on this?

I've just tried the new drivers again, restarting my computer after the update. the WLAN light stayed on into Windows and I noticed it connected to my WiFi router. But then the 'Wireless Switch Setting Utility' loaded and the WLAN light went out and the WiFi connection was lost.

All the Wireless Switch Setting Utility would recognise was the Bluetooth adapter, no options were present for the WiFi in the utility. I exited the program but it made no difference. I went into the network settings and disabled/enabled the WiFi which made no difference. I then asked Windows to diagnose the problem. It just told me to turn the WiFi switch on on my computer which was already turned on!!

I'm pretty sure now that it is the Wireless Switch Setting Utility that is causing the problem, especially as Windows connected to the internet for a couple of seconds during startup before the utility had loaded.

I rolled back the drivers and restarted the Wireless Switch Setting Utility which then recognised the WiFi, I enabled it and it worked fine once again.

I've tried to find a way of disabling the Wireless Switch Setting Utility from starting with Windows but it isn't present in the Startup folder or within MSConfig either.

Can anyone advise? Thanks