Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-S3HP Wireless NIGHTMARE

twfmike
Visitor

VGN-S3HP Wireless NIGHTMARE

I'm trying to work out if this is a hardware or software problem. My wireless has stopped working. I've had a long and fruitless dialogue with VAIO support.

In summary: Wireless stopped working / was intermitent / only started working after a complete shut-down, leaving it overnight and rebooting.

Reinstalled drivers & wireless switch Utility. Still intermittent.

Had Switch driver crashing loads, uninstalled it. Everything was fine for a short while, then wireles stopped working altogether.

Gave up for a while, convinced it was a hardware issue.

Today, summoned all my strength and reinstalled driver and Wireless Switch Utility. Still no sign of a wireless connection, but when I click on the Wireless Switch Utility I get a message about "the frequency of 2.4Ghz Wireless LAN and 5GHz Wireless LAN are incompatible , please switch systems to same frequency" . How do I change the appropriate frequency? or is this a red herring and it's a hardware issue?

If it's a hardware issue, will it be costly?

Really hope someone out there can help.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
twfmike
Visitor

.... attached transcript of dialogue with Viao support in case it makes anything clearer?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

To be honest, it sounds like hardware because it is so intermittent. If the problem persists after a full recovery it is likely that your Vaio will have to be sent for repair.

Have you tried downloading, extracting and installing the latest XP PRO Wireless Drivers from Intel?

Intel® PRO/Wireless Drivers-Only for Windows* XP [V11.1.1.0_XP_DRIVERS.ZIP]

:thinking:

twfmike
Visitor

Thanks for that.

Trying that download now. Will let you know.

To be honest, it's out of guarantee and I cant face sending it back to Sony for repair - I just read this thread:
http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/GB/en/forum/viewthread?thread=44239&offset=0
Read it - it's scary stuff!

If this driver doesnt work, I'll either find someone local who can fix it or cut my losses and buy a new machine....

twfmike
Visitor

Nah.

Tried the new driver, but no change. Looks like hardware fault....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Why not try an economical solution: -

Wireless LAN PCMCIA Card

:thinking:

twfmike
Visitor

genius.

i'll do that.

twfmike
Visitor

on it goes...

bought the plug in wireless card as suggested by Blencogo, but no joy... the Vaio doesnt seem to see it... It also fails to see my Sony memory card when i plug that in.... is there something more fundamental wrong with the machine???

Any suggestions welcome

gerardpuducul
Visitor

I'm trying to work out if this is a hardware or software problem.  My wireless has stopped working.  I've had a long and fruitless dialogue with VAIO support.  

In summary: Wireless stopped working / was intermitent / only started working after a complete shut-down, leaving it overnight and rebooting.

Reinstalled drivers & wireless switch Utility. Still intermittent.

Had Switch driver crashing loads, uninstalled it. Everything was fine for a short while, then wireles stopped working altogether.

Gave up for a while, convinced it was a hardware issue.

Today, summoned all my strength and reinstalled driver and Wireless Switch Utility. Still no sign of a wireless connection, but when I click on the Wireless Switch Utility I get a message about "the frequency of 2.4Ghz Wireless LAN and 5GHz Wireless LAN are incompatible , please switch systems to same frequency" . How do I change the appropriate frequency? or is this a red herring and it's a hardware issue?

If it's a hardware issue, will it be costly?

Really hope someone out there can help.

Thanks

maybe you can see over there http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=9834&st=120
very usefull for me!!