Join now - be part of our community!

VIO KEEPS CRASHING

Richp
Visitor

VIO KEEPS CRASHING

Hey guys

once again i run it to probs and have to ask for your wondeful advice

My viao VGN S5M, keeps automatically putting the shut down menu up on the screen, you know the one with the hibernate, shut down or restart icons., when i click cancel all my desktop icons disappear as does the bottom tool bar. The only way i can get it back is but doing a shut down removing the battery and then re starting.

My friend said his laptop started doing this then 3 weeks later it crashed and he lost everything., is it a sign its dying ? ? its only just 1 year old so i pray not!

Any advice appreciated

Rich

5 REPLIES 5
Resonate
Visitor

Hey guys
once again i run it to probs and have to ask for your wondeful advice
My viao VGN S5M, keeps automatically putting the shut down menu up on the screen, you know the one with the hibernate, shut down or restart icons., when i click cancel all my desktop icons disappear as does the bottom tool bar. The only way i can get it back is but doing a shut down removing the battery and then re starting.
My friend said his laptop started doing this then 3 weeks later it crashed and he lost everything., is it a sign its dying ? ? its only just 1 year old so i pray not!
Any advice appreciated
Rich

Are you able to do any tasks before the Shutdown panel pops up or is an instant pop up

Richp
Visitor

Ill just be working say on the internet or on word and it pops up.

Im still able to acess task manager when the desktop has crashed just all icons and bottom bar are missing.

Rich

Resonate
Visitor

Right if you can i would download Sysinternals Process Explorer this is like task manager but it gives you more in depth look at your system running processes, What you should look for is any spikes in CPU before the pop up appears (keep Process Explorer running) & see what starts the process running. Also do a quick check of your scheduled tasks just to check your system isnt set to go off if a certain task or time has passed. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sounds like explorer.exe is crashing.

When it happens open Task Manager, highlight explorer.exe and 'End Process'.
Click on File -> New Task and type in explorer.exe .

If this works, come back here while we try to think what to do about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thinking:

Richp
Visitor

thanks guys ill try that next time

Rich