Join now - be part of our community!

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

ayu61200
Visitor

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

The subject of this thread says it all.

Sony, where are the drivers? I paid 1700 Euros for my FE11S half a year ago. I think it's more than about time for Sony to release drivers "Vista compatible". Everything works but the power management features, lowering the bright of the screen and so on, among others, is NOT working which means I can't use Vista on batteries properly because the screen's maximum brightness eats the whole battery quickly.

Am I asking too much for a 1700 Euros laptop? Is this the kind of after sales service I can expect from the all mighty Sony? Vista RTM is already shipping, and I'm still waiting for Vista drivers, whilst there's a cute and nice "Windows vista" features icon in the vaio-link.com page. It's even ironic. Starting to feel too much dissapointed about all this...

78 REPLIES 78
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ayu61200

Have a look at the post from gudus in this thread , it may help until Sony release Vista drives.. :thinking:

ayu61200
Visitor

Thalamus,

Thanks for your reply. I did read that post and followed Domingo's steps and could actually make something happen; The overlay graphic with the brightness slider appears when I press the keyboard Fn + Bright up keys, but I can only add or remove 1 step... from the lowest-minimum bright to 1 step up, so the change is barely noticeable...

I'll guess I'll still have to wait until someone at Sony's support department decides it's a good day to have Vista drivers. As simple as that. I love my Vaio but next time I have to buy a laptop, I'll think twice about buying another one.

Thanks a lot for your help anyway.

Edit: Could also get one of the settings applications running and changing the brightness selector does not have any effect into the screen. :cry:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

Sony will not release any drivers before Vista will be in the shops. Therefore there is no need to keep on asking.

KR,
Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
ayu61200
Visitor

I consider an RTM version, and new Vaios about to be sold with Vista installed a good reason to expect Sony to distribute their drivers.

I'm not asking for a miracle. Just for a bunch of adapted drivers. And also, we're not talking about a third category brand, this is SONY, and it's perfectly expectable they provide with proper support. We don't pay more for nothing.

Edit: Isn't it really funny and ironic Sony shows a "Vaio recommends Windows Vista" here?

http://vista.vaio-link.com/vaiovista.html?lang=en

Well then, I'll follow your recommendations Sony. Where are the drivers?

robpaxton
Explorer

Ranting about the lack of immediate vista driver support is unlikely to produce the solution you want. You will simply have to wait until Sony release drivers for your computer.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Then you can have the pleasure of most of your core applications not working and you can play games at least 10% slower LOL

kee-lo_

RTM you shouldn't even have! This is for people who are in manufacturing and creating recovery solutions for their PCs, like DeLL, Toshiba etc, it's not a PUBLIC release.

RTM stands for Release To Manufacturer.

I doubt even MSDN users have it yet.

OzBoz
Visitor

MSDN subscribers don't have it. Last time I heard a subscriber she said they will be released at Nov the 30st.

There was a note about the RTM every curious person installs (like myself) by Microsoft in a Dutch article today. They warned people the RTM vista is only working till June. But also had a very honest comment I liked 'We're happy consumers are willing to start using Windows Vista'

But although the RTM isn't supposed to be used by curious people, all people I know who installed it are very enthousiastic. That's also good news for Microsoft. Even had some Mac-lovers at work who were pretty amazed.

At least I hope Sony does has the RTM version, else I would make a copy for them to fix the drivers. There are company's much faster in creating their drivers (Creative, Nvidia, Realtek etc). And Sony did had some drivers fixed for the RTM version. The hotkey just is an important button. Since it's working a bit after some tricks I wonder how difficult it is to fix it entirely. I'm not a coder, just using common sense. It's important for company's these days to respect the community as it's more easier for people using forums to completly annoy a brand in the future. Wonder if a driver is worth it. From a marketing perspective ít's only good if you have everything working or publish beta drivers online (to be used at own risk). Only for the public to know they are working on it.

Recommending Vista today also makes no sense if you use the excuse 'it's not available so you shouldn't have it'. But the recommending part is the marketing thing they do get at Sony. like.no.other

I'm not angry at anyone, just wish my Fn button worked. I like my Sony. it runs Vista super smooth. But the excuses why there are no (beta) drivers.. come on :slight_smile:

For the topic starter, your problem is exactly the same as mine

philfree
Visitor

Sorry I'm cross-posting but the same request appeared in 2 different posts...

I don't know if it works for all Vaio but work on my TX3. I just downloaded Vaio Utilities for my TX3 on vaio-link and installed Vaio Event Service just by double-clicking setup.exe (no change in compatibility mode or anything). Everything works like on XP, volume, mute, screen brightness, all multimedia buttons on my TX3 (eject, fast dorward, play, pause,etc...).

While I'm at it (sorry mods I may not respect the rules by providing this link... please edit if I don't), found Vista Alps touchpad drivers here (works great).