Join now - be part of our community!

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

ayu61200
Visitor

Vista is here. Where are the Drivers?

The subject of this thread says it all.

Sony, where are the drivers? I paid 1700 Euros for my FE11S half a year ago. I think it's more than about time for Sony to release drivers "Vista compatible". Everything works but the power management features, lowering the bright of the screen and so on, among others, is NOT working which means I can't use Vista on batteries properly because the screen's maximum brightness eats the whole battery quickly.

Am I asking too much for a 1700 Euros laptop? Is this the kind of after sales service I can expect from the all mighty Sony? Vista RTM is already shipping, and I'm still waiting for Vista drivers, whilst there's a cute and nice "Windows vista" features icon in the vaio-link.com page. It's even ironic. Starting to feel too much dissapointed about all this...

78 REPLIES 78
philfree
Visitor

OK but some do, why not follow or be the best in class.... I agree with everything that was said before ie:Vista is not here, wait until it's available but... Vista is here. MS offered thousands of beta release and release candidates to the general public. These are not the final product but a great many are already using it and Sony like others have worked on drivers and applications that are already ready for Vista. Some are still beta for sure but why not release what's available. We all know anyway that anything released will be in various stages of development and no support will be provided.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

I agree with you. It would have been better if Sony had bothered to issue some beta development drivers and application updates. Not only would it benefit their customers but it would also benefit Sony by allowing customers to give them feedback on any problems or issues that occur.

Unfortunately, we've been told straight that the drivers aren't going to be released yet.

tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

Just a small update from my side. I have had an internal meeting about Vista support yesterday and I have re-escalated the fact of the support drivers not being available for download. The Support group promised me a complete plan with deadlines this week so I hope to be able to provide you with some good news later this week.

Have a great week-end.

KR,
Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
MauiMauer
Visitor

Tha would be great, as I currently can't test and approve Vista for our company's VAIOs :cry:

Let's see what the coming week brings in :wink:

(Vista is really there...RTM was released yesterday to TechNet and MSDN AA. There aren't just VAIO home users.)

ayu61200
Visitor

Hi all,

Just a small update from my side. I have had an internal meeting about Vista support yesterday and I have re-escalated the fact of the support drivers not being available for download. The Support group promised me a complete plan with deadlines this week so I hope to be able to provide you with some good news later this week.

This is very good news. Let's see if they can at least release some beta drivers to -at least- manage to control the power saving features (screen bright etc). Everything else can wait, but if I can't use a laptop on its battery for more than 1 hour it's going to be hard to wait!

Have a great week-end.

Hope the next one is even better with a hopefully close enough deadline...

jaybbb
Visitor

And Vista is now available for beta tester like me and i would like to get my hot keys working .....

OzBoz
Visitor

And Vista is now available for beta tester like me and i would like to get my hot keys working .....

Vista was available for beta testers about 5 months I think. and since about a week for MSDN subscribers. Don't really know what you want as result of your comment. Beta testing fase is finished months ago. As you saw in this thread Sony is working on them. And if you want you can also see this one as well

jaybbb
Visitor

I was talking about RTM which is now avaible ....
When you see that other manufacturer support vista since the beta and now the only thing that sony had released are drivers for notebook control device and i/o control device....

ayu61200
Visitor

Don't really know what you want as result of your comment. 

Maybe he just wants to show his displeasure. :slight_smile: This is supposed to be the closest we can get to Sony right...? So maybe they read it. Nothing will change but he might feel better (as many of us, after bragging about Sony's driver release policies here).

kee-lo_

Sorry but nothing will change by complaining constantly in this thread, Sony's execs have told them not to release the drivers until the day that Vista is on the shop shelves.