Join now - be part of our community!

Vista Recent Items messed up

profile.country.GB.title
kerria
New

Vista Recent Items messed up

Hi,

When I look at my "Recent Items" list in the Start Menu, the file extensions on some of the items have been muddled.  They contain a string of Chinese characters, and the files will not open from there.  However there is nothing wrong with the files or their extensions when you check them via Windows Explorer, or via their default programs. It is nor disastrous, but it is just annoying as I find "Recent Items" a very useful tool.  Has anyone experienced this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kerria,

This is a new one on me but suggest that you try clearing the recent items list and see whether new entries register correctly.

To clear the list right click 'Recent Items' and select 'Clear....'

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
kerria
New

Hi Rich,

Have already cleared the list, and tried Restart.  After opening and closing some files, some items still come back into the list with scrambled extensions - and it is not every one. Currently the ones in the list that are wrong are all jpegs, but some jpegs are OK.  Weird or Wot!!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kerria,

Weird indeed!

Have you carried out a full system scan for viruses/malware?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
kerria
New

Hi Rich

Have just completed a full scan using Microsoft Security Essentials.  It highlighted 5 items all containing the phrase "Exploit: Java".  I have removed them.  Naturally, I will have to wait for my Recent Items to build up again (having cleared them) before I will know if this has cured the problem, but I will let you know via this thread.

Thanks for your help so far - much appreciated.

Kerria

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kerria,

If you still experiencing the same problem can you let us know the software you are using to open the jpeg’s?

Also can you right click a file (with scrambled extension) within ‘Recent Items’, select properties and check that the location is the same as the original file and has the same extension?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
kerria
New

Hi Rich,

I have now built up some 15 items in my Recent Items and they all have correct extensions.  I think the full scan did the trick.  Anyway, only time will tell.  Thanks for the advice - great support, buddy.

kerria

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kerria,

Fingers crossed that removal of malware was the solution. If the problem reoccurs then let us know and we can look for other causes...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat