Join now - be part of our community!

Wandering cursor

profile.country.en_GB.title
MikeE401
Visitor

Wandering cursor

The cursor wanders all over the screen of my VGN BX51XP (two of them actually!) Does anyone know how to stop this as it's creating all sorts of problems?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi MikeE401,

Does this happen with a USB mouse or the touchpad?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MikeE401
Visitor

Unfortunately both! It started while connected to a USB mouse but it definitely happens with both this and touchpad on my other laptop. It usually occurs after any pressure on the keyboard so could it be a keyboard fault? In fact on the first one to develop this any key pressure causes it.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi MikeE401,

As this seems happen when pressure is applied to the keyboard it does indicate a hardware problem.

Try disabling the touchpad to see whether the problem still occurs with just the USB mouse attached. You should find the option for this in Vaio Control Center.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MikeE401
Visitor

Thanks but it doesn't stop when touchpad disabled. On my wife's it just jumps around without anything being done at all, just switched on!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi MikeE401,

It is strange that both machines have developed this problem - presumably at approx. the same time.

Have you run a full system scan for viruses/malware?

Also, have you tried reinstalling the touchpad drivers? There only seems to be XP OS version available on the Support site - is this the OS you are using?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MikeE401
Visitor

Hi Rich912

They both developed the problem after about the same run time. I'll do a full scan first as you suggested, good idea! Don't know why I didn't think of that first!