Join now - be part of our community!

Watching TV on my AR31S

unknownforce
Visitor

Watching TV on my AR31S

Hi all, apologies for the continued barrage of thick questions. I hope you can help

I have just spent a day trying to get my wireless working snd called in a friend. Turns out i am really dim as the router i have just bought is ADSL with integrated modem and i have an always on cable connection - one for ebay then!!

So theres the background on my dimness for you. Anyway, I would like to be able to watch TV on my laptop, both indoors and also when I am at work (on breaks of course) and when we go away in the caravan or overseas. I bought the AR31S as i thought it jut worked, wrong again.

I need to buy a new wireless router so i cankill myself setting up a home network (call me a masochist) but i also need to buy a slingbox or something? (acording to my helpful friend). The cost of both is quite a lot and i wondered if this was the best or there are other options / spmething that does it all?

I have virgin cable and the freeview box has an ethernet port on the back, so i assume i can watch tv through this, next to my tv in the lounge, but this kind of defeats the point.

Please help an old rather dim person like myself......kind regards

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Something compact will work but don't expect receive all the digital stations here I not sure if you realize but your laptop has a freeview type tuner built in and it is a hybrid which means it receives both flavours of signal (digital/analogue). So all you need is a good aerial for your caravan trips, certainly one of the high gain variety or roof top for your work place. Cable to your router will give you 100mbps and wireless 54mbps. The cable should be supplied with your router but Maplins will have one for £7. Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

unknownforce
Visitor

thats great, thanks tony