Join now - be part of our community!

WebCam has stopped working

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
maskreya
Visitor

WebCam has stopped working

The webcam on my VPCF11M1E has stopped working. The ArcSoft software seems OK and activates the green indicator near the camera. Instead of showing an image on Arcsoft 'Capture' there is just a black rectangle. Clicking the camera icon there is the sound of a camera shutter, and it produces a blank image. This leads me to think there is a hardware fault. I have logged on to the Sony site which invites you to send an email query. BUT when I try to do this there only seems the option of premium telephone or post.

Is anyone able to offer a solution or to say how I can confirm I have hardware fault. Also how I can email Sony?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi maskreya,

I assume that the camera is reported as working and not disabled?

Unfortunately the only sure way of determining whether the problem is software or hardware related is to perform a factory reset using either your recovery disks or the HDD recovery utility ((F10 at boot). This will eliminate any third party software as the cause.

This will of course wipe all personal data and third party appications  - returniing your notebook to 'as delivered'.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi maskreya,

Is the camera listed in Device Manager, under imaging devices, and is it reported as working correctly (in properties for the device)?

If not listed under imaging devices are there any unknown devices?

If you are past the warranty period then only the premium rate phone number or post is available for you to contact Support.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
maskreya
Visitor

Thank you Rich,

The camera is listed under imaging devices and there are no unknown devices. I have tried uninstalling the camera and shutting down/restarting, which did not help.

I would still like to know if there is any way of ascertaing if I have a hardware fault. I am not at all anxious to take the machine in for repair, but if I decided to there I still have a few weeks of John Lewis 2 year warranty left.

Thanks for the information that one can no longer email Sony after 1 year. It would be helpful if they made it clear.

maskreya

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi maskreya,

I assume that the camera is reported as working and not disabled?

Unfortunately the only sure way of determining whether the problem is software or hardware related is to perform a factory reset using either your recovery disks or the HDD recovery utility ((F10 at boot). This will eliminate any third party software as the cause.

This will of course wipe all personal data and third party appications  - returniing your notebook to 'as delivered'.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
tripodzid
Visitor

Hi. I am new to using Sony camera. I have seen this Arcsoft software and would like to know how this works and what does it do?

Business is the game!!

maskreya
Visitor

Thanks again for your prompt reply. I don't want to use the 'nuclear' option, though I can see it is probably the only way to see if I have a hardware fault. I have decided instead to use the Logitech webcam from my desktop, assuming the Arcsoft software does not prevent this, as I don't use the web cam very often.

Thanks again for trying to help,

maskreya

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome maskreya.

There should be no problem using an external webcam as long as you select the correct camera within the settings options in the program you are using.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat