Join now - be part of our community!

Western Digital Scorpio 40GB instead of Hitachi for my pcg-fx103

jifster
Visitor

Western Digital Scorpio 40GB instead of Hitachi for my pcg-fx103

I notice most people use Hitachi Travelstar when they replace their Vaio hard drive but is there any reason why I can't use a WD Scorpio 2.5" drive instead?

Thanks for any input.

Garry

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

No reason at all Gary. Any Parallel ATA drive will do the job.

I suppose most people are looking at the Travelstar or the Seagate Momentus as the top two because they are available now with up to 100GB capacity and 7200 RPM spindle speed.

The Hard Disc is probably the most important factor in speeding up a laptop - and spindle speed is the largest single contributor to fast access times.

Here is an oldish REVIEW OF NOTEBOOK HDDs which includes the WD Scorpio.

:slight_smile:

jifster
Visitor

Thanks for the info. The only reason i'm looking at the WD is my usual supplier has this one for a good price and only have the Hitachi @ 60gb which is not needed. It's just a 2nd hand pcg-fx103 for my other half as her Compaq let us down after just a year and i'm fed up trying to figure out the constant bsod and now it's stopped working altogether. Hence the purchase of an fx103 for her. Speed is not a priority as she only uses it for college work, irc and web although obviously we don't want it to run like a dog. :wink:

Thanks again for your advice, i'll give that review page a read.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

As Blencogo said it's just a choice, because they have good power management and use less battery on the road

jifster
Visitor

As Blencogo said it's just a choice, because they have good power management and use less battery on the road

All installed and working. Had a small issue with constant 'os not found' messages when trying to use the restore disk but I think the zero grav connection on the hd caddy was not making a good contact. Then the dvd drive seemed to stop working when all the screws on the caddy were in. After a bit of messing around all is working fine and it's quieter than a mouse with slippers on.

Thanks again.

:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Great news :cool: