Join now - be part of our community!

What's the service called that runs the softkey sound change?

colinmann
Visitor

What's the service called that runs the softkey sound change?

Hi guys, the title says it all: What's the service called that runs the soft key sound change?

Thanks, Colin

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Colin,

Assuming that you are talking a relatively new Vaio then it is ‘Vaio Event Service’, but this has dependencies of ‘Sony Utilities’ and ‘Sony Shared Library’.

Older models have a Hotkey Utility.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
colinmann
Visitor

Hi Colin,

Assuming that you are talking a relatively new Vaio then it is ‘Vaio Event Service’, but this has dependencies of ‘Sony Utilities’ and ‘Sony Shared Library’.

Older models have a Hotkey Utility.

Hi Rich,

I've got a one year old FS215Z... just updated it through the vaio update whatsit and now the S1, S2 & all the Fn keys don't work. Any ideas? I've disabled a few VAIO services as they used to drag my system performance - but before the upgrade everything worked. What would you recommend?

colinmann
Visitor

I downloaded and installed these from the VAIO update site, and it no longer worked:

VAIO Event Services 11/07/2006 3.66 MB

Sony Utilities 11/07/2006 2 MB

VAIO Media Integrated Server 3.1/4.x/5.0 27/06/2006 6.97 MB

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Colin,

These utilities need to be installed in a set sequence – first Sony Utilities, then Sony Shared Library (installer folder 2) followed by the Vaio Event Service. You then need to reboot your computer.

It maybe necessary to repeat this procedure a couple of times before the Fn keys work.

Btw which Vaio Services did you disable?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
colinmann
Visitor

Btw which Vaio Services did you disable?

Hi Rich,

Here're the disabled services:

Cheers, Colin

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The image isn't there

colinmann
Visitor

The image isn't there

It should be. Try http://www.colinmann.com/eBay/disabled.jpg

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

404 file not found

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

BTW These don't work well under Windows VISTA (Beta) - I've got a work-around for the problem to get it to run, I'll post the solution to you soon, hopefully with images lol.

You MAY need to set compatibility modes on the UTILS.EXE or equivalent for Windows XP Service Pack 2 if you are running Windows Vista - oh and remember RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR must also be checked.

Hopefully that ought to help out any Windows VISTA users with their VAIO event keys.