Join now - be part of our community!

What to do with these issues?

skykit84
New

What to do with these issues?

Hi all,
Some of you might know i'm having a few issues here and there and I'm just wondering what exactly I should do?

I purchased the laptop on the 10th of October 2006 so its 9days short of being 3 months old. Obviously past my time to return it.

The laptop is a SZ2XP/C and I paid pretty much all my student loan on it! The issues are stopping me using it for uni work which is why I got it.

Issues:
1. Fan noise. This is really bad. Fans kick in at 42c and about 44c, its on full spin. This is on stamina mode. The noise is not only awkward but embaressing in a lecture hall when I use it.

2. The static. When I use the laptop in bed, i have my electric heated blanket on. This does something to me and/or the laptop and charges somethingup. When I touch any part of the laptop whether its near the mousepad or the back of the screen, I get surges through my fingers. Is this not dangerous to the laptop and possibly myself?

3. I too suffer from the screen being printed with the keys from the keyboard. While this just wipes off, again, is this not a risk to the screen?

Thats it.... 3 issues, both I feel are major. I only have 4 months left at uni, its my final year, the main important year and I cannot take the laptop to uni! What I dont want to do is send this to Sony and get it back once I finish Uni if this makes sense.

You thoughts please.

10 REPLIES 10
skykit84
New

I have now logged 3 individual cases with e-support so lets see what happens. I guess what I am after is not Sony taking the laptop in for 6 weeks and then getting it back when I would no longer even need the laptop because the main reason would be over.

skykit84
New

Just an update , I've been looking around about the static issues and guess what? Its known!
Infact, I did a little test... I got off my blanket and tried downstairs, I still got the issue. I then found out its tingling sensation.

Again more research and testing and i hooked up a volt meter to the palm rest. anyone want to guess? let me tell you.. theres current coming off the palm rest (about 1.5volts give or take)

while its not a lot, this could still be potentially dangerous... what if i had a heart ticker 😆

anyway no use changing the laptop because i would only go for an sz series and all of them seem to have metal palmrests. the only way around it apparently is the use of grounded power supplies... well sony dont offer this soi just dont know anymore.

one thing is that without the power supply connected, theres no sensation.

Resonate
Visitor

Again more research and testing and i hooked up a volt meter to the palm rest. anyone want to guess? let me tell you.. theres current coming off the palm rest (about 1.5volts give or take)

while its not a lot, this could still be potentially dangerous... what if i had a heart ticker 😆

This is truly Shocking :smileygrin:

I cant really suggest much on this perhaps leave the blanket off the bed & wear some thick thermals maybe. I cant say i have used one of the SZ Series so couldn't tell you if the HDD is being a bit of a rebel in class.

Anyway good look with UNI and happy New Year !!!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Akash,

You could consult with Trading Standards and say it's not fit for purpose, but I'd do that after contacting VAIO-Link

skykit84
New

Just an update... I logged a case for all 3 and have got some assistance although I dont think its correct.

Regarding the fan update, I was told I "may" be able to turn it off in BIOS... which is wrong because you cant. Also that a BIOS update is available which again is wrong because I have the latest update. Thats as far as it has got.

The second issue was "escalated" to Sony supprt and I will be contacted although nothing yet.

and third issue about the keyboard was not seen as a known fault despite several people having this issue on here. I linked this case although with the common space bar problem and was told it would take 5-10 days.
As I am a final year uni student, I cannot afford to be without it even fora day so unfortuntly, I will have to let any support go 😞

I'll be most likely looking at selling the laptop after my exam on wednesday and get something with on-site warranty from Dell maybe. Real shame considering I spent 1400 on this late October and 3 fairly "simple" problems are taking far too long. I know about the whole 5-10 days and what not, I work in repairs too so I know the whole stating maxtime and so on but in my situation , i cannot afford it.

Oh well, there goes my student loan again :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Shame they don't do a VAIO Education Programme where you can get a courtesy machine if it all goes wrong?

skykit84
New

Its a good idea but not good for me
Obviously I have titles that cannot be installed on a loan laptop and even if I could, the whole process of disabling the current one, moving the licence over the new one, then back.. its difficult

kee-lo_

Yeah like Office...

skykit84
New

Ok, now im annoyed!
The case with the shocking issues has been closed without me knowing about it!

When replying to the case about the fan noise, it says I have not entered a error? So I cant add notes