Join now - be part of our community!

Where to find wireless switch to reinstall after new HDD

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Narwhal
Visitor

Where to find wireless switch to reinstall after new HDD

I have a Vaio VPCY11ME. The HDD failed just after its first birthday (i.e. just out of warranty - not very impressed by that). I got a new HDD, reinstalled Windows 7 (and Ubuntu) and things are working but I don't have any of the original Vaio software.

Some of the Vaio software I found on the Sony Support site (under the "stuff that's already installed on your machine" section), but I can't find everything I need. The main missing thing is the Wireless Switch, which I need to turn off wifi and bluetooth easily when I want to.

I would also like to get the Vaio Control Centre back, I found an update which did install but I doesn't give me any menus, just basic system information.

I emailed the Support site after the HDD failed to get Windows discs but got no reply (I downloaded an ISO instead). I just entered my serial number and the site tells me the machine is out of Warranty and won't let me email now.

Any ideas where I can get this software?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert
10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You need: -

1. Vaio Smart Network

2. Vaio Control Centre

from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VPCY11M1E_S

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Narwhal
Visitor

Thanks. The smart network driver fixed the wireless swtich issue. I also installed a whole bunch of other pre-installed drivers and the control centre is more meaningful now.

Doesitmatter
Explorer

I have an identical problem, except I lost the wireless switch after some idiotic and very wrong advice from BT after I got one of their HomeHub 6 things

I have a rather acient Vaio model PCG8a22M laptop that I am very fond of. The physical switch on the front of the laptop works fine, but I am informed that there is a software switch (control) as well. I do not have the suport sofware. Would the above link work with a laptop running VISTA. I have never bothered to update due to the number of programmes and all the data I have on the machine.

Would appriciate your advice as I am sure that it must be better than BT "help experts" (who should be prosecuted under the Trades Decription Act for using those last two words). My version of an Expert. Two parts to the word EX and SPURT. Ex = something that has been but is no more. Spurt = liqud under pressure. Therefore an expert must be some hasbeen drip who is under pressure. Yep, that a BT expert.

Sorry, you may gather I am a little miffed.

Thank in advance, Garry

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Hi @Doesitmatter,

the correct PC acronym is below the display, on the right.

Manolo

Doesitmatter
Explorer

Hi Manolo, sorry, I may be a bit thick today but I do not understand your reply.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

I'm so sorry, fault of my poor english,

we need the name of VAIO, PCG8a22M is not correct, the name is under the  display on the right.

Like this:

Risultati immagini per Sigla VAIO

Manolo

Doesitmatter
Explorer

Got it! Right, it was me being a bit thick. On cleaning the lable up a bit, it looks like the model number is PCG8122M.

Does this help?

I am impressed by the speed of reply by the way - brilliant!

Garry

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

It help at half, the name who I need is like in the picture, not under PC but under LCD Display.

Like... VGN-AR or similar.

Anyway, if you want to try the software Wireless Switch Setting Utility, by VGN-AR31S Support page (the installer is in the compressed file, at folder Utils Installer Wireless Switch Setting Utility😞

http://www.sony.it/support/it/content/cnt-dwnl/prd-comp/Preinstalled_Utilities_2705/VGN-AR31M

Manolo

Doesitmatter
Explorer

This is what confused me originally. There is no number anywhere that looks like your photo, sorry. The only number I can find is on the plate underneath the machine

Thinking back, you have reminded me, I had to do a complete reinstall from a Micrsoft disk some years ago. Thiswas not the Sony disc as there was no Sony disc when I got the machine and under the guidance of the Sony Helpdesk of that time, I had to download various programmes to a CDW disk for use as a backup. I have now found the two disks. I marked them "recovery disks 1 and 2.

What files should I look for on these disks to establish if these are the ones I needto reinstall the VAIO Smart Network please?

If these are the disks, how should I go about reinstalling the Smart Network programmes please

Thank you yet again for such speedy replies

Garry