Join now - be part of our community!

Why doesn't the laptop boot anymore?

yokor
Visitor

Why doesn't the laptop boot anymore?

Hello,

Again I'm having trouble with my vaio pcg-fx702 and I'm beginning to wonder why I ever bought a vaio. When It was still under warranty I had to send it back once and now that the warranty has run out I keep on having trouble with it. So wat is wrong now? A couple of days ago I went back from the kitchen to continue working an my vaio when the screen was all white. The laptop still reacted when I used alt f4 => turn off, but when I tried to turn it on again the next morning it didn't boot. It didn't even show the sony logo. The 3 buttons an the right flash and the cdrom spins but nothing happens after that, no beeps or anything.
It can't bee the hdd (works on other computer) or the memory (replaced that when it didn't boot and still it didn't work) I wonder if it could be something wrong with the inverter or even the graphics card of the cpu?
Please help, I'm getting really fed up with the whole sony thing with the vaio link that you have to pay before they even had a look at it.

Kind regards, Timothy

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like your inverter has died :slight_frown: :cry:

yokor
Visitor

Hmm, that's what I expected, but why don't I hear any beeps or anything and doesn.t it even get through the post?

Kind regards,

Timothy

tellingd
Visitor

If there's no activity (apart from a few flashing lights) it would seem that the problem is 'inside the box' rather than with the screen.

Unless you are handy with laptops it might be worth taking it to a professional to see if they can run some tests on the motherboard - could be a broken/ loose connection.

kee-lo_

Unless you are handy with laptops it might be worth taking it to a professional to see if they can run some tests on the motherboard - could be a broken/ loose connection.

Good point Dave, well worth doing for like £20.

yokor
Visitor

Is that the same thing I keep on reading in other forums that the memory slots in the vaio aren't very good because of bad soldering?
I'll have a look to find a technician for the vaio. Any suggestions?

Byebye Timothy

kee-lo_

Yellow Pages.
Or ask friends in IT

yokor
Visitor

I found a "good" (for as far as I can say) repair service with the very obvious name laptopsrepair. This morning I dcided to first try out another processor to see what would happen and to my surprise I could see the sony logo again and could get into the bios. The only thing now is that after that I get a blinking cursor that keeps on blinking and nothing happens after that. What's worng now? I think I saw something on this message board about blinking cursors, but since I can't find the search button to look for it I'm hoping someone can help me.

Kind regards, Timothy

yokor
Visitor

Oh, it boots from floppy so I assume it's something wrong on the disk. Is there a scandisk program for ntfs disks that works in dos?

byebye, Timothy

Never mind, I was stupid:smileyblush: I could just use the winxp cd.

kee-lo_

Timothy,

Anywhere close to starting XP?