Join now - be part of our community!

Why using MP3s on the Vaio Pocket?

simon.giesen
Visitor

Why using MP3s on the Vaio Pocket?

Well, I would like to ask you why to use MP3s on the Vaio Pocket Player as it will be possible by using the Firmware Update in the middle of December.

MP3 Format is more or less the "standard" but look at Apple: They use AAC, but their IPod and their ITunes Store got so "hip" or stylish that they define a standard just by creating outstanding products.

And this is the point for me: Sony CAN create standards. Their products are outstanding - look at the Vaio Pocket Player. And ATRAC is far superior to MP3.

And we customers (fans) can do.

So why changing to the MP3 wave?.

14 REPLIES 14
nemo66
Visitor

~~~~~WHY NOT ?~~~~~

Really...who says we must change?
NOBODY!!!!
See it as an option or as a feature that let´s you and anybody else use they´r over years accumulated songs transferring on the Pocket Vaio without re-encoding it (and also loosing therefore quality) in ATRAC.
Sure, when u convert an CD in ATRAC you will get better quality compared to mp3....but what u do when u have only mp3´s???
Converting then to ATRAC would mean loss of quality....
BTW...the option for mps makes the PocketVaio far more competitive to other products out there......

:smileygrin:

Twisted-Rizla
Visitor

Good point Nemo.

No one's going to force anyone to stick with the MP3 format. As you rightly say it should be treated as an option. Atrac will still be the Sony standard but the player will be more useable (and sellable)

One of the biggest complaints with Vaio Pocket is its inability to handle MP3. Now that Sony have responded to users wishes and added the MP3 functionality it should now appeal to a wider audience.

At least Sony are listening:smileyhappy:

chris_lewis
Visitor

Sony products now support MP3 for one reason!
Sales, !!! There arent many people like us Vaio nuts in the world so they have to do it to be competive!!

Me, well im sticking to atrac3plus 256kbps, blows the socks off most mp3 formats, I will also continue to buy CD's!! On a quality HI-FI system any compressed format sounds rubbish to me!!
theres no ambiance in digital music, I suggest you hook up your pc to a hifi play a compressed digital track then play the cd it came from even in 256kbps you will hear a difference!!!

I havent and probably wont download any tracks from the net until they stop making vinyl & CD's, I find it very strange how over the last 5-6 years peoples hearing seems to have deserted them
BRING BACK THE QUALITY I SAY!!!
Still when we all have 3meg connections in our homes and 64bit PCs we will be able to stream WAV and all this compression can naff off.

Heres to the future hopefully uncompressed!!

Chris.

diverse
Visitor

Yep, i am sticking with ATRAC, but i want GAPLESS playback NOW!!

chris_lewis
Visitor

I agree, c'mon Sony give us hd1 owners the UG

CuBiK
Visitor

MP3 Format is more or less the "standard" but look at Apple: They use AAC, but their IPod and their ITunes Store got so "hip" or stylish that they define a standard just by creating outstanding products.

Apple may use AAC codec, but don't forget that their IPod support mp3 too. Ask your friends who own one, and u will see that there are hardly any who use the AAC codec on their IPod...
It's true that Apple made the IPod as a hardware standart, but the only standart still MP3 for music files. If we want to see vaio pockets everywhere instead of ipods, we need this compatibility:smileygrin:

nemo66
Visitor

@CuBIK
WoW, u are really great man.
U got the point out....hold it and don´t loose it!

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Because so many people use MP3 they don't want to spend hours converting.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Re my previous post on downloading and mp3,
In my view if you dont have the CD or record you dont have the tune, you may as well have got it on illegal download as its just the same quality from a legal site. you also get none of the extras with the artwork, personnaly I need some tangible evidence I own the said piece of music. I can also choose the quality I encode it at on my devices,

To download an album legally it normally costs £6-7, new CDs are £8-9 now to me there is no comparison, How many people buy and rip CDs instead of downloading I wonder?? (In which case format of codec doesnt matter)

Im also now glad too see the NW-HD1/2/3 now retailing at less than the MASSIVE ipod, (not that it needs too) My mates are gutted they have to lump around there so called iconic device, roll over Apple Sonys coming to make things better!!!!

Loyal HD1 owner

C