Join now - be part of our community!

Windows Media Player won't start

frasere
Visitor

Windows Media Player won't start

Recently got a FE41E (Vista preinstalled) which I haven't been all that impressed with.

Windows Media Player seems to be refusing to start. If I click the shortcut nothing happens unless I right click and choose "Run as administrator" this also seems connected to the fact that when I double click on a wav or mp3 file nothing happens either 😞

Can anyone help?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Which version do you have?

When you set it up on first run through did you create any file associations with it?

If not you'll probably have to right click a file and use open with...

frasere
Visitor

It's version 11

I know what you mean about right click etc but the files are associated correctly and even when I do right click and then choose media player nothing happens.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

OK

sorry to say the usual thing bu have you tried reinstalling Media Player?

frasere
Visitor

Can you help me out on how to do this? I downloaded it from the Microsoft site to try and install again but it says my installed version is newer so it can't install.

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

no problem

go to add/remove programs

then click on windows medai 11 runtime

you'll have the option to roll back to a previous version. If there wasn't one it should give you the option to uninstall it.

Then after uninstallation then install the older version.

frasere
Visitor

I don't have Windows Media in the list to uninstall. Is this because it's part of vista?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Ah I'm sorry

I'm not running vista.

Perhaps google may aid you?
Or someone who has Vista can help?

pippo561
Visitor

WMP11 is part of Vista, so no uninstall/install on its on.

I had the same problem with WMP11, was working when the vaio was out of the box,FE41S, I then installed the included Photoshop Elements5 and WMP11 stopped working.
I have now disabled Windows User Account Control, ie it run as a full administrator, and every thing works including WMP11 and PSE5.
My only problem is still the Motion Eye camera.

guvey101
Visitor

I had the same problem, try right clicking run as administrator and it should work