Join now - be part of our community!

Windows Vista on Vaio VGN-S5XP/B

CptGreenwood
Visitor

Windows Vista on Vaio VGN-S5XP/B

Hi,

on the Vaio websites Windows Vista seems to be the new hype and I am interested running it on my vaio as well.
I've tried Vista RC1 and was positively suprised that all my Vaio hardware was supported right from the start or after automatic downloads after installation.

The only problem left which would prevent me from migrating to Vista is that:
While working under Vista the system gets "stuck" for a blink of an eye in an exact intervall about every second. It is visible while moving the mouse cursor and it stops shortly every second. Or while watching a video or listening to music. Everything is suspended for some Milliseconds every second.

This is veeery annoying. Has someone experienced the same effect. Can somebody give me a hint where to tune?

Help is very very welcome because I definitely do want to use Vista on my Vaio ! Thanx in advance...

Greetz,
Cpt

12 REPLIES 12
skykit84
New

Well, I had Vista on the Sz2xp and had no issues at all apart from that I could not at the time find drivers for the wireless card

I opted for the beta testing and had PRE-RC1 installed on it.
Everything worked perfectly like it does on my desktop now ( on vista now)

You have to understand that your laptop may not be (unlike mine) vista ready
By this i mean that it most likely will support it but there will need to be changes to drivers and so on
RC1 and PRE-RC1 are obviously not the final product and all your issues may be sorted in the final version... this is what beta testing is all about
Nothing is perfect and MS most likely only test this on a small selection of hardware/software and leave the rest of the testing down to people like us
There is no way around it and i think is a great idea so that people (General public) get the chance to test things out.

Go ahead and report your issue... ensure they know about it.
That is what they want in your testing.

on the other note... it is really nice isnt it/
I couldnt believe when the sony booted up with that wallpaper... i was gobsmacked.

found it VERY stable and had no issues whatsoever on it.

I think its a winner this time round!

Mr_DoughBoy
Visitor

Mine is S5XP/B and working fine with Vista (The latest Version) but I had to do a clean format before I installed.

pleth
Visitor

Hi

I have the same problem but with the final version...
Any suggestions? :slight_frown:

Thanks

russelk
Visitor

I had the same problem with the final version of Vista. It turns out it's the Task Scheduler that's using a lot of CPU power and causing the brief halting. I can't be sure that your problems are being caused by the same culprit, but here's how I fixed mine. Right-click on the task-bar and bring up the Task Manager. On the Tasks list I found 2 instances of "taskeng.exe", one of which was using around 20 percent of my CPU. Killing this task stopped the stuttering. The only downside is that I have not found a way to stop this permanently so I need to do this after every reboot.

acecooper
Visitor

Hi, i got the same on my Sony Laptop and my old HP laptop. Its to do with one of the process' taskeng.exe, - closing the one that is taking the most CPU in 'Task Manage' will stop this from happening... until you restart.

CptGreenwood
Visitor

In the meanwhile I found waht it is all about as well as a solution. :smileygrin:

The reason for the delays is the driver of the graphics card (NVidia GeForce 6400 Go) that Microsoft supplies. At the moment there is no other from Sony or NVidia.

I found the solution while googleing in a forum about drivers. You have to use the NVidia driver for the "big brother" graphics card GeForce 6400 (no "Go") for Vista. This one will refuse to install for a "Go" card. So that forum privided me with a patched ".inf"-File, which should replace the original one in the driver setup directory. With that new inf file the driver installed fine.

Now everything is great with vista. No flickering, no hanging and full aero and glass! :cool:

pleth
Visitor

I have found a drivers nvidia for geforce 6400 go with the modified inf and it works but it crash my vaio on reboot.

Can you give me the url of your page ?

CptGreenwood
Visitor

Unfortunately not. I've surfed two hours to find and now I don't remember, where it was.
But I have the driver on my harddisk. Any chance to load it up to you?

pleth
Visitor

Oh cool!
Can you upload it on http://www.rapidshare.com/ ?
Just click browse and then upload. The website will give you back an url to download it! :smileygrin: