Join now - be part of our community!

Windows XP Backup Utility - Where is it?

SteveinUK
Visitor

Windows XP Backup Utility - Where is it?

MMMm why do they do this ?

According to MS, the backup utility is not installed as standard in Windows XP home edition, and must be done manually.
Sony, in their infininate wisdom, decided not to provide installation disks on a laptop costing over £1,000.00 probably to save the 50p or so it would have cost.

The folder "Valuadd" where supposedly the installation file containing "Backup" utility is located, cannot be found anywhere!
Anyone got any tips to find it? I don't want to use Sony's version as I may have to restore to another (non-Sony) computer sometime.
Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

It's not supplied because it's not supported under XP Home. I have found this download however.

I've haven't verified it though.

SteveinUK
Visitor

Actually it is supported on the home edition. I have the paperwork here in front of me that says so. It states you have to insert the disk and select the "Valueadd" folder to initiate the installation. I already did it on my desktop which came with the disks. Thanks for the link tho.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

On your Sony Recovery DVD it is located in :\i386\VALUEADD

robpaxton
Explorer

Sorry - meant ASR isn't supported under Home - hope the link helps.

kee-lo_

I have it in my VALUEADD folder.

SteveinUK
Visitor

Thanks for the info.
I copied the "Valueadd" folder from my desktop to my laptop, ran the installation proggy and voila ! I have backup. It works too !

Thanks for the quick responses.....you'd never get that from MS !
Now if only Sony would give you restore disks instead of US having to make 'em !
Steve

kee-lo_

Totally it's bad news Sony don't make recovery CDs/DVDs

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Now if only Sony would give you restore disks instead of US having to make 'em !

God I got my computer at exactly the right time then didn't I?!:smileyhappy:

This is bad practice by Sony, and has put me off their hardware somewhat...:smileysad: