Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless Lan on a Sony Vaio?

KlapsKali
Visitor

Wireless Lan on a Sony Vaio?

Hi, I¿m disappointed by Sony! Six month ago I¿ve bought a PCG-GRT996VP Vaio Laptop. A few days ago I tried out the wireless Lan connection with a friend. We were able to establish a connection with 11Mbit, but we were a bit frustrated because we thought his Laptop and my Laptop would support 54Mbit. My friend can switch between 11Mbit and 54Mbit. So I thought I could do that as well. But I wasn¿t able to find any kind of function that allow me to change the connection speed to 54Mbit, so I decided to call Sony. To make a long story short, the Sony Vaio Germany employee told me that my Vaio (and any other Vaio with a ¿LAN-Express AS IEEE 802.11g miniPCI Adapter¿) can only establish a 54Mbit connection to an access point but not to another PC/Laptop! A connection to another PC/Laptop only supports 11Mbit. :angry:

Neither on Sony¿s internet pages nor on the sides from any shop how sold the Laptop I¿ve read anything like that. The only thing I¿ve read everywhere was, that the notebook supports 802.11b as well as 802.11g. I didn¿t found a single word of exceptions or any * in the datasheet or elsewhere.

I don¿t know how you think about that, but I would not expect something like that from Sony. I would like to ¿hear¿ what you think about that. And if someone from Sony reads this, please state your opinion.

Hope you understood what I wrote...

Best Regards

Klapskali

10 REPLIES 10
Smithy
Visitor

@ Smithy

Du scheinst mir aber ein anderes Problem zu haben...
KlapsKali

Glaub ich auch. Ich bekomme Fehlermeldungen mit IP-Adressen usw.
Muss mal schaun dass ich einen "Fachmann" an´s Rohr bekomme.
Dank und Gruss