Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless network with Z1SP + 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54Mbps

paradoxchild
Visitor

Wireless network with Z1SP + 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 54Mbps

hello. apologies if there are previous posts on this topic, but i cant work out how to search the forums.

i have a desktop pc, connected to my 3com router via cat5 cable. i can get online using this router.

i also have a z1sp vaio, with built in Wi-Fi, but i cannot get the 2 to communicate. ive used the same keys etc as far as i can tell, but neither will find the other.

the only guides for my router ive found RE wireless networks all involve using the free wireless pc card you get with it. but as my lappy has wifi built in, that seems a bit overkill?

if anyone can help at all that would be great. im a novice with this so im not sure what to try next.

thank you for your time,

james

6 REPLIES 6
backfiredog
Visitor

does your laptop get signal from the access point? maybe your router has private closed roon activated, also you can check with windows for HCPH and wireless acess under MSCONFIG, hope this help you

backfiredog
Visitor

does your laptop get signal from the access point? maybe your router has private closed roon activated, also you can check with windows for DCPH and wireless acess under MSCONFIG, hope this help you

paradoxchild
Visitor

um i dont know if it gets a signal..how would i tell? sorry :slight_frown:

the router is dcph enabled.

backfiredog
Visitor

turn on the wifi and windows should automatically detect nearest access point, if you can see your acess point then it means your laptops is fine, now try connecting it, if you are having trouble connecting, then check with your router weather if its password protected/ closed network etc.

paradoxchild
Visitor

oh right i see.

no, it isnt detecting the nearest access point. does that mean its my laptop?

should i just use the free wifi card?defeats the object of my built in wifi though i know

paradoxchild
Visitor

last night i had it so i could use the router and get online from vaio.. but i switched the router off.(stupidly i know). now im in front room,(router in the other room) the vaio can find the router but it wont get online. my vaio has an ip,but if i ping the desktop nothin is received, if i ping the router,it recieves them all