Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless networks detected but not strong

DrBatman
Visitor

Wireless networks detected but not strong

Hi there,
I posted a similar thread a few months back ( sadly without much joy). basically my pc can detect wireless networks but the signal strength is never too hot. For example my girlfriend's acer picked up a wireless network in my building no probs (on the wireless connection window the strength was 4 bars)..... on my pc it showed 1 bar and even then it wouldn't connect. I have pretty much checked everything I can but no joy. Is the internal wireless adapter just not up for the job (which would annoy me somewhat considering this cost £400 more than the Acer which works fine) or is it something else? It is making me a bit iffy on buying a wireless router for myself but one of the reasons why I bought a new pc was for this very feature.

if anyone could shed some light or offer ideas I would be grateful.

additional info:
Won't be an ssid prob as other laptop connects fine without it

the wlan switch is on and does detect the network... just with no strength. The other laptop has been in exaxt same position with much better strength

As far as I'm aware everything is up to date.

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
DrBatman
Visitor

Forgot the most important detail

It's a Sony FE11S
:laughing:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You could

1) get an access point to strengthen the signal
2) work closer to your router.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi DrBatman,

Who's wireless network are you currently connecting to and how far away from your PC is it.. :thinking:

DrBatman
Visitor

Hi DrBatman,

Who's wireless network are you currently connecting to and how far away from your PC is it.. :thinking:

my neighbour's connection. He has disabled his wep security to let me try out the wireless stuff before I get a router myself. it's about 7 metres away

OlavoPires
Visitor

my friend DrBatman try enter in :
1.network connections
2.wireless network connection
3.propriedades
4.Wireless Networks
5.preferred networks
6.clic the on the available on the list.
7.tham on the propriedades (default propriedades) put all the same in that defaut proprietis that your grilfriend have in the same properties.
8. and in other window ( ADD) put the same properties.