Join now - be part of our community!

WPA-PSK - trouble connecting

stevep-4
Visitor

WPA-PSK - trouble connecting

I have to use hotel wireless networks occasionally.

The curent one has WPA-PSK security, but my laptop (with fully updated Windows XP pro) only comes up with WPA as a security which can be either OPEN or SHARED.

I am told that WPA-PSK is neither open or shared.

I tried downloading the microsoft update, but since I have automatic updates, it tells me that I am all ready fully upto dat with all updates.

This is a Z1-RSP laptop.

Any ideas???
Might there be a firemeare upgrade??? (will pop over to vaio link)

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hey Steve, good to see you

Try the explainations on http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3552826

stevep-4
Visitor

Good web link.

My problem, is that my computer does actually find the network,

I enter the network password correctly, but never get logged in.

when I select the network , select the network and go to advanced properties, there is no option in Data encription of selecting WPA-PSK. My options are WEP or Disabled.

Managed to suss it thank...

WHen you go to properties, you must go to AUTHENTICATION and tick the Enable IEEE.802.1x box.
Thne go back to Association and re enter the network password.
Then exit and restart wireless connections and it worked ok,.

WPA-PSK is now listed unde rthe data encription options.

Thanks

Tha nks fopr the help.

kee-lo_

No problem Steve, glad to see it worked

I was going to say maybe Windows XP Home doesn't have this feature?

stevep-4
Visitor

The Z1 RSP is XP pro.

WPA-PSK is supposedly a newer and safer means of security.

It only works on htis computer AFTER I have uploaded and installed the latest Wireless driver...Once this is done and the computer restarted, it will allow WPA-PSK and TKIP data encryption.

I thought the problem may be driver related, which seems to be confirmed after a did a system restore to last week. No problems. Re-installed the updated driver, and the lock ups returned.

So, perhaps I will monitor how many WPA-PSK netforks I am faced with, and stick with the original driver most of the time.

The only problem is that the laptop will occasionally TOTALLY lock up (which is actually reported on the Vaio Link website...

By total lock up, nothing works. key strokes, mouse, even the power on/off button does not work. The ONLY remedy is the pull the battery out and do a crash reboot.

this from the Vaio Link website as you are about the download

Notes for users of Sony Wireless Access Point PCWA-A220:
After installing Wireless LAN driver 1.2.1.7, the computer may hang when entering Hibernation mode if associated with PCWA-A220.
This problem occurs only under the following circumstance:
1.Put the notebook into hibernation mode while it is connected to PCWA-A220.
2.Wake up from hibernation.
3.The try go into hibernation again right after the notebook is returned to Windows XP.
4.Result: the notebook hangs when entering hibernation mode a second time.
5.To workaround this problem, you should turn off the Wireless Switch button and the computer will go into hibernation properly.

kee-lo_

My Belkin card has supported it since 2005, so thats good.

I hate the way hibernation causes so many problems with wireless