Join now - be part of our community!

XL201 surround sound out of the box????

jasoldfi
New

XL201 surround sound out of the box????

Hi, just looking for a bit of help here with this xl201 I have just bought.I am looking at getting suround sound out of the thing but have no idea as to how to go about it.Any help or ideas mutch appreciated,thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
andysp5
Visitor

Hi Jason,
Like you, I was only getting sterio and PCM going to my amp.
All you do is go to Control Panel on the XL201, and go to 'Sound and Audio devices' and set the speaker settings to 5.1. Then go to 'Sound Reality Control Panel' (or something like that), go to the advanced tab, and you can change the settings for the SPFI(?) or HDMI outputs to AC3 instead of PCM. Now my amp shows a 5.1 input.
Hope that helps.
Andy

jasoldfi
New

Hi Andy, thanks very mutch for the help.I dont even have an amp to plug into, was wondering how I would go about it,just use the two audio out phono jacks at the back then into a surround sound amp then?I was daft enough to think I could just plug my 5 speakers and sub into the back of this thing(doh)not enough research before I bought it!
Seem to find a few things slow up and tv media player has crashed on me too!So as much info and help is appreciated,am only a common electrician so all this tech stuff goes over my head sometimes!

profile.country.en_GB.title
andysp5
Visitor

Hi Jason, yes, presumed you had an amp. I use the Optical SPDIF connection out of the XL201 to the amp. Andy.

jasoldfi
New

Thanks bud,will now sort problem out

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hi, like Andy I use the optical out to connect the XL201 to my Sherwood 5.1 surround amp.

What I don't like is the need to go in and use the Sound Reality applet to change the properties back and forth from HDMI PCM to Dolby Digital AC3. I've setup the S1 function key to point to STAC97.CPL in the system32 folder, but there must be an easier way of switching audio, that if wife friendly?? 😉

Cheers

profile.country.fr_FR.title
bebezin85
Visitor

Hello,

I would like to do exactly the same thing on my FZ21M laptop using the HDMI output, but the speaker configuration only allows me "stereo" and I have not advanced tab in the "Sound reality ASIO settings".

Of course, I'm sure there is a way to do that, otherwise it would be perfectly useless to have a blu-ray drive.

Thanks,
Ben

dynam1ke
Visitor

This is EXACTLY my problem also.

I have a FZ21Z, but there is no way of getting surround sound when watching a Bluray :slight_frown:
I have tried a lot, connecting to HDMI receivers, trying different settings in WinDVD BD fo Vaio, and PowerDVD Ultra. But still no surround sound from my Vaio...

Is there a solution? Or is it a hardware problem? It DOES output normal Dolby Digital and DTS test tones over HDMI in the audio control panel.

mrsunshine
Visitor

i have a similar problem with my vgx-xl202. has anybody a solution?

nils