Join now - be part of our community!

XL201 upgrade to Windows Vista 64bit

zincbod
Visitor

XL201 upgrade to Windows Vista 64bit

Hi all

I am about to upgrade to vista and have trawled through these threads looking for tips and I now have a few (loads) of questions if anyone can help ( i have vista 64 bit home premium full version and a new hard drive ready for clean install 😞

1. The BIOS upgrade, is it always necessary to do it or is it a suck it and see if I get graphics issues.
2 Do I use all the drivers on the sony driver update website and if so when do I upgrade the BIOS, they seem to suggest running the windows vista first then the bios update from inside vista though some threads here seem to do otherwise?
3. What order overall do I perform all these tasks
4. I have a choice of hard drives to use either a 500gb or a 1tb. will the 1tb cause any issues as it will be the boot drive?
5. I have also been thinking of adding a MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH/D2 Graphics Card, should I do this befor or after the vista upgrade?
6. any other suggestions or tips welcome.

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
zincbod
Visitor

The BIOS update can be sound on the VAIO support website under the xl201 model, though i did not use this one. You can also search in google on "vaio xl201 bios update" and the second or third listing will being you back here to a thread about "graphics card conflict" and bios update. There is a dos version and a ready to go ISO file. I copied to a bootable CD and ran that one ok, as you will read from above. Read all the pages in that thread first to get a feel for what might happen.

Hope this helps.

formation4
Visitor

The BIOS update can be sound on the VAIO support website under the xl201 model, though i did not use this one.  You can also search in google on "vaio xl201 bios update" and the second or third listing will being you back here to a thread about "graphics card conflict" and bios update.  There is a dos version and a ready to go ISO file.  I copied to a bootable CD and ran that one ok, as  you will read from above.  Read all the pages in that thread first to get a feel for what might happen.

Hope this helps.

Hi Zincbod thanks for the advice, the card is up and running with sound :smileygrin:
Will try tomorrow and see if the TV cards pick up anything :cool: