Join now - be part of our community!

XL201 Video Card Upgrade

profile.country.en_GB.title
grahamjb33
Visitor

XL201 Video Card Upgrade

I have recently started using my Sony XL201 MCE 2005 running on WinXPSP2 for playing games and all was well until I installed MotoGP 2007. Whilst the graphics on this game are extremely good and even with the resolution set to its lowest, the CPU can reach over 90% power usage and the screen 'sticks' occassionally which makes it difficult to play.
I am thinking that as the standard card fitted namely the Nvidia Geforce 7600 GTL with 256Mb on board could be struggling with this game, the main CPU is trying to compensate and this is causing the high power usage.
If I am correct in my diagnosis I would appreciate advice on what video card upgrade would resolve these problems, eg a Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT? By the way... the XL201 is bog standard with 1Gb ram and no upgrades to date.
Great forum for info, keep up the good work everyone!
Thanks... Baler :cool:

106 REPLIES 106
profile.country.GB.title
jamesbramsdon
New

Dear All

I know that people on the Forums at XL100.co.uk have successfully upgraded to the MSI 8500 low profile card.

It seems from this thread that there is now an MSI 8600 low profile card available.

Can anyone tell me if the additional power demands of the 8600 would be a problem for my XL201 if I decide to upgrade?

Thanks

ITTroll
Visitor

Oooh, I've just been reading about the new G98 core from nVidia. The first card to use the G98 will be an updated version of the 8400GS. This core features the third generation of PureVideo HD which now has 100% hardware decoding of VC-1 and H.264 material.

Geforce 7 series and 8800 cards only have 50% hardware decode, whilst 8600, 8500 and old core (G86) 8400 cards have 75%.

Looks like it might be worth hanging on for the new G98 core to filter through.

ITTroll
Visitor

If like me you are still waiting for the G98 based 8400, they may now be released as the 9400. The latest leaked ForceWare drivers have entries for the 9400 and 9400GS. It would seem to make much more sense to give the updated card a new name.

clivadio
Visitor

Hi guys,
since I tried a couple of things on my 201, let me give yuo my feedback.
I purchased the MSi NX8500GT-MTD256EH/D2, but it does not fit: even though it is a low profile, the passive heatsink is a little bit too thick, and it won't fit in the slot, no matter what. I even tried to exchange the heatsink with the one from the original graphic card, no success.
I exchanged it for the Leadtek 8500 passive, and that one fitted, since the heatsink is a lot thinner. I did see the difference: while with the 7600, CPU was at around 70% when playing the BluRay, with the 8500, it went down to 10-15%.
But I don't know if mine had a problem, it was burning hot, especially when decoding h264, and I couldn't watch a complete BluRay movie, it started to lag after an hour or so.
Another issue: no more sound on the HDMI, therefore no sound on the TV. The 7600 has a custom connector I guess to mix the sound into the HDMI output.

So after all, I changed back to the 7600 :thinking:

Regarding games: I do not play on that computer, so I cannot say :slight_frown:

Those machines are not built to be changed...

ITTroll
Visitor

I have heard reports that the 8500 can get rather toasty so I don't think you got a faulty one. The new G98 core (which will be used in the rumored 9400) is based on 65nm technology which means it will run alot cooler. This may be your best option.

With regards to sound the Leadtek should have a connector and cable to allow SPDIF over HDMI. See here:
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1249/2

Out of interest can I ask which Blu-Ray drive you have and how you have connected it?

andysp5
Visitor

So in summary, an XL201 owner (like me) who wants full Blu-ray decoding without the heat problems, needs to wait for a low-profile, passive, 9500 card?

clivadio
Visitor

Out of interest can I ask which Blu-Ray drive you have and how you have connected it?

I did not connect the Blu-Ray to the Vaio. I actually use another PC to rip blurays to the HD, and then read them from the HD. I'll purchase a blu-ray drive when a affordable slot-in will be available, today I cannot find any.

So in summary, an XL201 owner (like me) who wants full Blu-ray decoding without the heat problems, needs to wait for a low-profile, passive, 9500 card?

Yes and no: from my experience, the XL201 is enough to read Blu-rays from the HD (did not try yet from a Blu-Ray disc, but that should not make a difference)
It is enough to:
- add some RAM (bluray sw would consume more than 500-600MB)
- ensure that nothing is running in // to the bluray reader sw)

It's very rare to see some lags.

I'm using PowerDVD

On the contrary, i did not succeed yet to play correctly some 1080p mkv, whatever codec I use. But I'm still working on it...

andysp5
Visitor

So does anyone know whether any of the new GEForce 9 series cards are suitbale for an XL201?
I see there is a 9600GT, is this a straight swap?
Does an XL201 user like myself HAVE to use a passive card, or can a fan card be OK as long as it's not too noisy?

ITTroll
Visitor

I needs to be a low profile card. I'm pretty sure there aren't any low profile versions of the 9600. Ideally the card should be passively cooled, but you could go with a fan as long as it is very slim - space is rather tight.

The best bet will be a low profile passive 9300 or 9500, once they are released. That's not a typo, the 9400 has now become the 9300 to signify the larger difference in performance.

andysp5
Visitor

I notice the 9 series cards are PCI-Express 2 cards. I presume they will work on the XL201's PCI-Express 1 slots?