Join now - be part of our community!

XP Home Backup

profile.country.en_GB.title
fraheato
Explorer

XP Home Backup

My Vaio doesn't have Backup listed in System Tools and I only have the discs I made when initially setting up the laptop.

Can anyone please advise how I go about backing up files & settings to a USB stick? I regularly save favourites, Roboform settings, documents and images. Would also like to backup Address book, and wondered what else others consider necessary to backup.

If the PC crashed I wouldn't like to have to start again from fresh. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Frankie

16 REPLIES 16
kee-lo_

Hi Frankie,

The backup tool you speak of is actually on the recovery DVD in the i386/valueadd/ folder

fraheato
Explorer

Hello Kee Lo
Thanks for such a speedy reply.
I loaded Recovery Disc 1 but couldn't see the 1386 added file, could it be called something else?
When I tried to load Disc 2, a dialogue box appeared stating if I want to install to switch off the PC and restart.
As I don't want to do a full reinstallation, decided not to go ahead.
My Viao is PCG-K315M.
Wondered whether you could advise anything else.
Thanks very much
Frankie

kee-lo_

I think it's on disk 2, you press cancel on that if you can
Or hold down the shift key when you put the CD in your drive then explore the disk.

fraheato
Explorer

Thanks Kee Lo

Unfortunately holding down the Shift key while inserting the DVD doesn't seem to make any difference.

It looks like I'll have to buy a programme to do it, do you have any suggestions re the best one?

Thanks you

Frankie

gfaelli
Visitor

Well, sorry if I misundertood you, but I think you wanna do a "normal backup" like your personal files and folders, dont you?!
You could get a cd-burner software as a Nero or Cd Creator and do it quickly...

fraheato
Explorer

Yes, that's right. just to back up files, settings etc. I was going to back up to a Freecom USB storage device, but as Back Up isn't listed in System Tools, am unable to do so.

Any advice please?

kee-lo_

Nero's the best

gfaelli
Visitor

Yes, that's right. just to back up files, settings etc.  I was going to back up to a Freecom USB storage device, but as Back Up isn't listed in System Tools, am unable to do so.

Any advice please?

So, go to http://www.nero.com, download the softare and start to "burn your backups".. :handshake:

kee-lo_

Can you do that on the demo?