Join now - be part of our community!

XP no volume icon, no sound except windows media player

koaladan
Visitor

XP no volume icon, no sound except windows media player

I have a VGN-FS295XP which has a sound issue. The sound volume control icon no longer appears in the system tray (it is enabled in Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices, but still never appears). Applications do not produce any sound except for Windows Media Player, WinDVD, and VideoLAN. Eg, Skype reports no sound hardware and won't dial out, all Firefox and IE browser plugins (except Windows Media Player) are silent including Flash, and websites like YouTube, GoogleVideo, etc are annoyingly silent.

I reunpacked sndvol32.exe from the cache, but the problem is still there. Running this application does produce an approprate, functioning master volume control application (the one with 8 sliders).

I suspected the registry was somehow messed up during a dodgey uninstall, but couldn't verify this. Registry Cleaner came up with no such problems.

I want my volume control and full sound back!

6 REPLIES 6
Martinsweden
Visitor

i've got the same problem after formatting the harddrive. i updated the drives in the device manager except one, the PCI Device drive couldn't be found.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

First check that the correct sound device is selected (Device Manager > Sounds and Audio Devices > Audio tab.

If that is OK then have a look in Device Manager under Sound, Video and Game Controllers – are there any warning symbols?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
koaladan
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. Checking...

On the Audio tab, the selected sound playback device is Realtek HD Audio output. There are no other choices.

In Device Manager, there are no warning icons for any of the listed devices including the sound devices. The Realtek High Definition Audio driver v5.10.0.5122 dated 3.23.2005 is "enabled and functioning properly".

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I suggest that you try the KB888111 patch and then reinstall the audio driver. A Google should provide a download location.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
edhifi
Visitor

I have a very similar problem - on my Vaio VGN-SZ3HP laptop. When I go to Control Panel / Sounds & Audio Devices / it states "no audio device". Under the Audio tab all the drop down boxes are greyed out and it says 'No playback devices', 'No Recording devices', and 'No MIDI playback devices'.

When I go to the C Drive / Drivers folder and reinstall the Audio drivers, I get sound, and under Control Panel / Audio Devices it then states "Sigma Tel Audio". As soon as I start playing audio e.g. through iTunes, I get volume, but the settings all revert back to "No Audio Device" and as soon as I stop playing the music I can't get any audio again.

Any ideas please?!

Seick85
Visitor

Try this dl on the sony page:

http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/info/info.asp?l=en&url=Downloads/ST/D/AUD/STDAUD-01108005-UN.exe&...

I had the same problem with my sony sz1. The driver update fixed it...