Join now - be part of our community!

Yes, I did it! I've deleted the recovery partition

CarlJanssen
Visitor

Yes, I did it! I've deleted the recovery partition

I've accidentially deleted the recovery partition of my Vaio A215M. That's not a real big problem, as I've installed my own Windows, but I would like to have this recovery partition for the future. Is there any A215M user who wants to help me by writing this partition on a DVD and send it to me? I will pay all the costs, of course.

Btw, I don't understand why they put this recovery stuff on a (hidden) partition these days, instead of writing it on a couple of CD's/DVD. It uses a lot of your harddisk space.

16 REPLIES 16
TygerTyger
Visitor

They have reasons for doing it, the only GOOD reason is that you can recover even if you have no disks with you. Which obviously is a fat load of good if your hard drive has a problem. Not good reasons as I said.

I'm not sure if Sony will supply a recovery disk to someone who wasn't given one in the first place, but you could get a proper one for around 20 Euros from Sony, the number is @ www.vaio-link.com

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sony wouldn't allow this....

Finally Sony have been proven wrong, that it can be deleted - so this make make them smell the coffee...

robpaxton
Explorer

The first thing anyone who buys a computer with a recovery partition should do is create their recovery disks.

TygerTyger
Visitor

People should be told that in the manual not the forum after it's all gone wrong.

robpaxton
Explorer

I believe that after starting Windows for the first time, the user is immediately prompted to create their recovery disk set.

kee-lo_

I believe that after starting Windows for the first time, the user is immediately prompted to create their recovery disk set.

Correct!

TygerTyger
Visitor

I meant people should have a proper explanation about the partition. But fair point, if it tells you to then people should do that.

kee-lo_

I can see your point Tyger, but all they need to do is make the discs and relax.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Ok I'll stop being a lazy typer lol. I mean that if it was explained to them properly then they may be able to recover the space if they needed (especially on small HDD's) and it would also put a stop to the 'Where's that bit of my hard drive gone?' questions. I'm not complaining I just thought it would be helpful for newbies.