Join now - be part of our community!

Z1 XSP Dead hard drive & Recovery CDs?

bink
Visitor

Z1 XSP Dead hard drive & Recovery CDs?

My Z1 XSP has been absolutely rock solid since I bought it ... in fact its been so good I can't even remember how many years ago I bought it. I've used it every day, all day ... Its just worked.

But ... today it died. :slight_frown:

0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0

I'm assuming this means the hard drive is dead.

Any ideas:
a). how I get to the hard drive to try and reseat the connections (not giving this much hope as a solution, but I really want this to be something that's solveable ... I like my Z1)

b). assuming the worst, and the drive is indeed dead ... its been so long since I bought the laptop that I can't find the recovery CDs (if I remember correctly, Sony don't ship recovery CDs and I had to make my own ... did I dream this???). So, if I get a replacement hard drive (assuming I can get in to the laptop to find it!), can someone point me in the right direction towards finding a source for a recovery CD?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bink,

Sorry to hear about your Z1.

The instructions for replacing the hard drive can be found here: -

http://vaioz.com/opening.html

and you can try to re-seat the hard drive.

Your Software User Guide
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Notebooks/TR_Z1_V505/TR_Z1_V505_S_EN.pdf
says that your Z1 came with a 'VAIO Recovery and Documentation Disc'.

If you can't find the original disc, you will be able to purchase a replacement from Sony which will reinastall everything onto a new drive exactly as it was when new. Alternatively, the basic drivers are available for download if you have your own edition of XP.

Good Luck - I hope re-seating the drive works.

:wink:

bink
Visitor

Hi Blencogo ... these links look to have everything I need, many thanks. Looks like my weekend is now blocked to do some serious hands-on Vaio anatomy training :smileygrin:

I'll let you know how it goes (but I bet I end up with at least one screw left over by the time I get the thing back into one piece!) ... I really hope re-seating the hard drive will pump some life back into my Z1.

Cheers,

Bink
====

bink
Visitor

good news/bad news

the good news ... is that the instructions in the links are really good ... no problem opening my Z1 XSP and getting to the hard drive

the bad news ... tried reseating the hard drive but still dead, so I'm going to replace the hard drive. But ...

more bad news ... still can't find my original Recovery & Documentation disc.

I've logged an e-support ticket with Sony, but if anyone knows what I need to do to get/buy a replacement Recovery & Documentation disc please shout.

Thanks.