Join now - be part of our community!

Handsfree using Bluetooth

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Jodelpilot
Visitor

Handsfree using Bluetooth

I've just bought the Sony MEX-BT3800U and can't get the handsfree working from my iPhone 3GS. It connects, streams audio through the stereo to the speakers and I can use the voice activation. The phone shows connected and it gives the car stereo as an option for the call,however when using the handsfree I cannot hear any sound through the car speakers?

Can anyone help or suggest how to resolve?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drumzman
New

Hi,

This isn't a solution as such, but more wondering whether the following could be an explanation.

The MEXBT3800 is able to handle two types of Bluetooth profile: A2DP which is what allows you to stream stereo music, and HFP or hands-free profile which is the one that allows phone calls to be made and received hands free (logically enough!).  The MEXBT3800 is able to connect both profiles simultaneously, but you can tell which profiles are successfully connected by checking the MEXBT3800's display.  What you should see is the standard Bluetooth logo which tells you whether you have Bluetooth enabled or not, and if you have enabled it there are two further icons that can light up.  One is a mobile phone icon which tells you that HFP is connected, and the other is a musical note in a box that tells you that A2DP music streaming is connected.  Only if both of these icons are illuminated would you be able to use hands free and listen to music from your iPhone.

I don't have an iPhone, but I do know that you can only connect to one device at a time and I'm just wondering whether there's a possibility that it regards a connected profile as one connection and so won't connect the other profile. :thinking: It's a bit of a long shot, as phones I've used with a BT3800 do connect both profiles at once and it's still regarded as one device.

Anyway, the first thing to check is that both of the Bluetooth profile icons are lit up - if you only have say the musical note, then that's the problem and I guess it could be to do with how the iPhone works perhaps?  If both icons are illuminated though and you still can't hear hands-free through your speakers, I'm not sure what the issue is and what your next step is, but might be worth getting the BT3800 checked out.

Don't know if this helps at all, but hope you find a solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VanDiemen
Visitor

i have exactly the same problem with an iPhone 4.  Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

gazzy_b
Visitor

Did anyone find an answer to this?

I am literally at a stage of returning the unit, I have tried everything, including updating the IOS to 4.33, and resetting the stereo to no avail, any help would be appreciated :wink:

Drumzman
New

Hi,

This isn't a solution as such, but more wondering whether the following could be an explanation.

The MEXBT3800 is able to handle two types of Bluetooth profile: A2DP which is what allows you to stream stereo music, and HFP or hands-free profile which is the one that allows phone calls to be made and received hands free (logically enough!).  The MEXBT3800 is able to connect both profiles simultaneously, but you can tell which profiles are successfully connected by checking the MEXBT3800's display.  What you should see is the standard Bluetooth logo which tells you whether you have Bluetooth enabled or not, and if you have enabled it there are two further icons that can light up.  One is a mobile phone icon which tells you that HFP is connected, and the other is a musical note in a box that tells you that A2DP music streaming is connected.  Only if both of these icons are illuminated would you be able to use hands free and listen to music from your iPhone.

I don't have an iPhone, but I do know that you can only connect to one device at a time and I'm just wondering whether there's a possibility that it regards a connected profile as one connection and so won't connect the other profile. :thinking: It's a bit of a long shot, as phones I've used with a BT3800 do connect both profiles at once and it's still regarded as one device.

Anyway, the first thing to check is that both of the Bluetooth profile icons are lit up - if you only have say the musical note, then that's the problem and I guess it could be to do with how the iPhone works perhaps?  If both icons are illuminated though and you still can't hear hands-free through your speakers, I'm not sure what the issue is and what your next step is, but might be worth getting the BT3800 checked out.

Don't know if this helps at all, but hope you find a solution.

profile.country.pt_PT.title
manel-serra
Visitor

In my MEX-bt3900u the handsfree using Bluetooth works quite well, although I did not buy the micro yet