Join now - be part of our community!

NW-ZX2 bluetooth headphone support

SOLVED
mattyw88
Explorer

NW-ZX2 bluetooth headphone support

Can anyone confirm if the ZX2 supports apt-x? I have only been able to connect my apt-x headphones to my ZX2 by SBC and the sound quality is inferior to the same headphones connected to my Z2 phone, which does connect by Apt-x.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mattyw88
I would say no as I can't find anything in the Sony specs, etc to suggest the NW-Z2 supports Apt-x..

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mattyw88
I would say no as I can't find anything in the Sony specs, etc to suggest the NW-Z2 supports Apt-x..

mattyw88
Explorer

Hi Thalmus

Thanks for your help, this would explain my problem. It’s very bad of Sony to design and sell a product of this quality and price and omit an essential requirement. My fault for not checking before I bought but I assumed as it had LDAC it would also support lesser codecs.

Do Sony have a complaints department? I can’t find one on the web.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

@mattyw88 ZX2 does support aptX.

You should be able to slect audio/connection and mode priority in the bluetooth settings

mattyw88
Explorer

Thanks Sonyvores. I'd be grateful if you can tell me where you found this as Sony themselves have said that the ZX2 does not support Aptx. My expereince of using it is that it always connects to Aptx headphones as SBC even with max quality set in audio connection mode. I am hoping that a firmware update will fix this.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Apparently, you are doing what is required

Quality mode/ Standard/ are set for aptX & LDAC mode

Prioritize connection is for SBC.

Althought I dont see the point of using bluetooth ( even aptX ) with such a player since you are degrading audio signal a lot,  not having aptX was one of the negative point of ZX1. And Sony said they would fix it with ZX2. Plus most if not all Electronic press mentionned aptX support on their CES 2015 coverage of ZX2

Would be weird that final product can't lol let me re-check with a friend who has a ZX2. 

mattyw88
Explorer

i have ahd another play and am convinced that the ZX2 doesnt support bluetooth. I have taken this up with Sony direct.

i agree, direct connection is best and that's what I use most of the time. However I do like the freedom of no wires and have a pair of Sony MDR1ABT which use LDAC and are quite good but they are not noise cancelling and are not as comfortable as my Sennheiser momentum 2.0 wireless phones. When swithcing from cabled to bluetooth the quality is worse, perhaps due to no Aptx.

This is not the case with the Sony's as the difference bewteen cabled and bluetooth (LDAC) is effectively undectable. Down to the quailty of the LDAC codec I assume.

So Sony need to implement Aptx on the ZX2 and also market a nosie cancelling wireless (LDAC) version of the MDRZ7.

profile.country.GB.title
Sonyvores
Contributor

Ok I tested out on my side, aptX mode not working either

I double checked with product manager, ZX2 doesn't support aptX (what a shame lol) 

Weird change after ces press claim on every websites.... Not sure they can add it in future because it needs an extra licence to pay to implement it... But for sure we can request it!