Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000xm3 microphone not working since 4.5.2

SOLVED
profile.country.HU.title
SparkFun
Explorer

WH-1000xm3 microphone not working since 4.5.2

Hello,

I've just updated the firmware on my WH-1000xm3 to 4.5.2 and since then the microphone does not work at all.

Tried to pair it to multiple devices (phones and notebooks), it behaves the same. It has audio and noise cancelling, but no michropone signal (no noise or anything, it is completly silent).

I've tried resetting it and restore it to factory settings, but no success.

Anyone else has the same experience? Any suggestions what I could try?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.HU.title
SparkFun
Explorer

Solved:

Disassembled the left side where the battery is located, disconnected the battery for ~30min, re-connected it and now it works again!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I may only tell you that it should not be related to the firmware. Mine has the same version since months and microphone is working

profile.country.HU.title
SparkFun
Explorer

Thanks for your reply!

The day went like this: In the morning I was using my headphones for a phone call. Everything was fine. I knew I would have some peaceful time after my morning call so I clicked on firmware update. Headphones battery full, phone battery more than half, the heaphones were on my desk next to my phone during the process.

After update I turned the headphones off and on again. It paired to my phone automatically it was playin music so I was happy. Later the same day I was receiving a call and the caller could not hear me.. nothing, not even noise.

So after this I tried to pair it to 3 of my colleges' phones and to my notebook. Same thing all around: it plays music, noise cancelling works OK, but no mucrophone signal.

So it is possible that it has no connetion to the update, but it would be quite a big coincidance if the michrophone broke the same day as I did the firmware update. Could be not the firmware itself but the updating process?

Is there a way to re-flash the same 4.5.2 firmware again?

Thanks

profile.country.HU.title
SparkFun
Explorer

Solved:

Disassembled the left side where the battery is located, disconnected the battery for ~30min, re-connected it and now it works again!

profile.country.GB.title
luizotavioavelar
New

Facing the same problem. Brand new headphones, tried in both PC and phone, microphone doesn't work. Tried many forums and it didn't work. Wondering how you disassembled left ear to remove the battery, it doesn't seem easy and not keen to lose the warranty. Probably will have to return headset, not great. 

profile.country.HU.title
SparkFun
Explorer

I was half a year out of warranty and after I was told that I have to pay for repairs after the official firmware update ruined my headphones I went in with a do or die attitude. So if you are still covered by warranty it should be a better solution to take it back in case you have a real HW issue.

Anyway what I did:

The ear pads are held in with a plastic ring that you have to pry out. If you reach in between the plastic of the ear cup and the pad and force it up it will come out. This is the scariest part, I advise to watch some youtube videos on how and where to pry on it. From there it is straight forward, you have 4 little screws under the pad and when you get them out the outer shell  will fall off. You don't need to physically remove the batter, only disconnect it (small white plug). 

profile.country.GB.title
FredWonderland
New

Hello everyone.

My headset was working properly for years on any device I have

I have exactly the same problem but it happened gradually.

Firmware update.

Then I started having microphone problems only on telegram chat and I also noticed that my battery was sometimes not charging properly.

Here is what I have now:

My microphone wasn't working on any device

I saw a tuto on this community that advised to unplug thebattery , so I did

What it did is that the headset  microphone works now on my windows 10 laptop

All options and characteristics of the  Headset work on my windows 10 laptop.

On Android everything works except the microphone. I tried on my 2 updated phones ( samsung s9 and Note 9) , I tried on my samsung Tablet and all works except the microphone.

Before I never had any problems at all...

I live on a small island in the pacific with no local repair option. Could anyone help me fix that issue please

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Bat_Rick
New

Hi Fred,

I'd recommend you to get in touch with Sony representatives and check your repair options with them.