Join now - be part of our community!

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

profile.country.GB.title
mustafa.arif
Explorer

WH-1000XM3 Terrible call quality (background noise)

I have just bought these headphones and the audio quality on calls is terrible. People I speak with on the phone report that the microphone is dampening my voice, making it sound echo-ey, whilst at the same time picking up ambient noise. Indeed, most report that the ambient noise is clearer than my voice! I'm not tryign to make calls in a particularly noisy environment - just a regular office.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
85 REPLIES 85
profile.country.SE.title
Octado

@paplorinc wrote:

I have the same problem, the mic sounds like this guys's: https://youtu.be/cZwr8D-qYHk?t=160

Should I return the unit?

Yes @paplorinc. Have them replaced.

profile.country.GB.title
mustafa.arif
Explorer

A quick update:

I raised a ticket with Sony support. They made me go through a rudimentary diagnostic procedure (factory reset, etc.) which made no difference. They then said they would pass it on to a second line support team and I nevertheless heard anything back.

In the meantime I returned the headset, following @Octado’s advice. The new headphones do a better job of rejecting ambient noise, however callers report my voice, although now clear, is still muffled and they are having to strain to hear it. I tried to take it back a second time and the ship said it was probably not a hardware fault but my expectations. 

From comparisons with colleagues who have the Bose QC35, the Sony mic definitely dampens the voice - however the Sony mic noise rejection is much, much, better.

i’m still not happy as I make a lot of calls and don’t want to carry two headsets. What advice can others offer now?

profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

Update to my call quality issues, I contacted Sony Australia through their website well over a week ago and have had no response/ reply thus far, very very poor customer support Sony!!
I subsequently returned the faulty headphones to store from which I purchased and a replacement was made almost without question.
Replacement headphones are markedly better in call quality but still nowhere near as clear as I was led to believe they should be by the salesperson from original purchase.
Other than that the headphones are quite good.
I may however still return them for a full refund as it is obvious that such an expensive item should work as advertised.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
profile.country.GB.title
Lolobedo23
Explorer

Same issue

I can t call people.They don't understand what I say and hear their own voice. I always need to cut the bluetooth and use the phone. It's a shame because they are designed to be used with smart phones. I m getting nervous.

I use a Samsung S-5 and updated the headset to V2 firmware

Air-10
New

Phonecalls are terrible!
NC goes off and ambient sound kicks in.
It even turns the ambient sound louder than what you hear whitout the headphones.

NC/Ambient button does nothing...

profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

I would strongly recommend anyone with phone call function issues ( or any other quality problems) with Sony WH-1000xm3 headphones to acquire a replacement set should this be possible, I have done this and the replacement set had a significant improvement in phone call quality, had this not been the case then in my situation I would have returned the headphones for a full refund.
My set was purchased as over the counter store buy, I would think that internet purchased headphones may well be  more difficult to resolve such issues.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Myklestul
New

I had the same problem. The first day, i did not have the problem. The problem actually started after I installed the headphones app and changed the NC/AMBIENT button to control Google Assistant.

Just now i tried to change the function back to control the ambient sound. Then, i made a phone call and during the phone call i were able to change from "ambient sound" to "noise cancelling" and i litterally hear no sound from the environment I'm currently in.

So for me, my problem is now solved.

profile.country.GB.title
ryocityboy88
Explorer

Hi I have the same problem, people are complaining I sound muffled and is not as good as my Bose headphones. Sony do you have a fix? Otherwise a great product for noise cancellation but poor on calls.

profile.country.AU.title
Stevoh1
Explorer

Hi,
I have no info for a fix other than returning the headphones for a
replacement, which by the way you are entitled to.
I returned my first pair and the replacement headphones are much much
better for phone calls, although not as good as they probably should be
considering their cost.
Other than that I absolutely love them!
profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

I too have this problem and it's very annoying.

I called Sony tech support but they said I could only send to a repair centre to have them test and report.

I mentioned that this appears to be a common issue and replacement sets appeared to be better but they said they could not offer replacements only a repair check.

The headphones were purchased from Richer sounds - however the receipt says 'due to hygiene reasons we are unable to offer refunds or exchanges on headphones!'